Lost a 5wk. Old Today

Chook-A-Holic

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Central, N.C.
Today after dinner, I decided to take the 22 5wk. old chicks out of the brooder for awhile and put them on the floor of the coop. They were playing and having a good time. I carried on with the chores in the yard in an around the coop and run. I thought I heard a thud against the wall of the coop. I went to investigate and when I got into the coop one of the chicks was laying against the wall on the floor screaming its little head off as its body was thrashing around. I picked up the chick as it continued to scream. Its neck was as limp as a dishrag and it was bleeding out of the mouth. The poor thing was laboring to breath and its eyes were closed. I the only thing I figured is it flew across the coop and broke its neck when it hit the wall. As time went on it was obvious that it was suffering terribly and wasn't going to make it. I went ahead and culled it and put it out of its misery. Of coarse it had to be one of my favorites. I just hope I did the right thing. I've culled before, but this time it really got to me with it being so young and healthy.

Marty

So sorry...I lost one today too...
hugs.gif

omg im so sorry!!! you did the right thing, cant tell you how sorry i am, thats terrible but you did the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom