Made it thru night one in the coop!

slystr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Dallas TX
I made it thru the night and so did the chicks. They moved under the heat lamp after ti got dark but it took them awhile, they sat outside crying so I put each one in the warm area but they came out. So I went in and eventually they got it. I did put hardware cloth around the bottom part of the tractor today as I had dreams of coons gettign thru the chix wire. I'll sleep better tonight as will the chicks.

slystr, glad to hear everything went well on the first night outside. It is always a concern as far as being a secure flock. Good Luck for a happy spring and summer!

bigzio

Yea ! They will eventually learn to go in with no problems.

You might lay a l 2x4 on the ground for them to roost on. It will get them ready for when they get older. Most chickens will roost on anything if it is available.

(I feel better now that the hardware cloth is up.)

So glad to hear your babies made it through night one....and you as well. I know the feling...Last night was my little ones first night out as well. However, mine are in a sectioned off part of the coop, so they had the bigger hens to keep them company. I got up this morning it was 29 degrees outside....so...with a heavy heart, I ran out to the coop.....everyone was fine, under the heat lamp, and a few were up and walking around like " no big deal" Whew!! I think we will be ok. LOL

Congrats! I'm glad everything went well for you and your chickies. I'm about to venture down that road tonight, I think.

How old are your chicks that are just starting to stay out at night? Just curious and want to be sure I'm doing the right thing by putting mine out tonight...

Mine are 5 weeks and it will be between 50 and 60 for the next 10 days, supposedly (maybe with a 45 night thrown in). I have a very small coop, and have a light in there, so I'm hoping they will stay warm enough.

Last night I did an experiment to see how much the lightbulb increased the temp by putting it inside a plastic bin outside. (the chicks were still in the garage) It kept it about 5 degrees warmer than the outside temp. I imagine it will keep it warmer than that with their warm little bodies inside.

Then too, I'm hoping they'll be OK if I open the coop door when I leave for work around 6:30. It should warm up in the next couple hours each day. I want them to be able to run around in the grass. They love it so much!

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Mu pullets are 5 weeks old. I have a open set up and they did fine. If you have a coop that is enclosed and it is not freezing I'd bet they'd be fine but I'm a newbie so don't take my word for it. I had a heat lamp set up and a wind break in the tractor for them and they would gather in the wind break under the lamp then walk out for food. the night time temp was about 50* F that first night.

Mine turned 5 weeks on Easter Sunday. Today is thier first thunderstorm...so, out in the storm I went....( what we wont do for our little ones) Its about 200 yrds to my coop.....got inside to sit with them through the thunder. They were all pretty scared...but after a few loud claps, and me asureing them the were ok...seemd fine. WHEW. I think I am going to go nuts! LOL I dont remember last years batch being this worrysome!! They are huddled under the light, and seem fine. Some are out walking around thier pen...peeking over the edge at the big hens!

I'm glad I'm not the only one worried about putting them out.

Three of my five babies are 6 weeks old tomorrow. They're standards and are pretty much completely feathered out. But it's been dropping down into the low 30's, high 20's, at night so they're still in the house with me. Plus it's been raining almost everyday and I haven't been able to build the coop for them yet.

My other two babies are bantams that are 3 and 5 weeks old. I'm really not ready for them to go out.

I'm sure when they do go, I'll be up half the night looking out at them.

Back
Top Bottom