Maine

Just got the call!!! My chicks are in!!!!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
Going to pick them up after School!!!!

Just got the call!!! My chicks are in!!!!!:celebrate :weee Going to pick them up after School!!!!

Congratulations and have fun!

We finally got the hoop coop moved today. It took about 5 hours and we are wiped. All the chickens get moved to a holding area, and while we were transporting them over I took a minute to inspect one for mites. She had both mites and lice, so I'll be pulling out the Ivermectin soon. I read that Ivermectin does not treat lice, but the last time we had lice they disappeared after treatment, so I'm hopeful.

At one point in the moving, DH decided to drive across the garden and he sunk out of sight! Luckily, he has not sold his old tractor, so we used that to pull the newer one out. It also meant that I had to drive the old tractor, which was something I'd never done before, so that was interesting. I need to go out and pin down the hardware cloth skirting. The wind is crazy today!

Quote: I am sorry to have not answered till now. I had guests today.
Any rabbit cage or pet cage/small kennel is all you need. At first I thought I needed a fancy one but you don't at all. The birds benefit from a little time in a cage helps you and the bird get used to being put in and out as well as the view. The bird should be calm in the cage. Chicks are too young. Just for a few weeks before to condition the bird is enough. Yes, you should wait till your birds are feathered and you don't really need to bathe them unless you are getting ready for a show or cleaning them up from mite infestations.

My daughter is interested in showing. I tell you this has been the best thing I have done in a long time. She is such an animal lover already. The chickens are just an amazing experience. I remember about 3 -4yrs ago she, and her brother, were 7-8 & 10-11, wrote up a contract for me. They discussed taking care of them, the coop cleaning, egg collection. ..everything and even CHOSE punishment and put it in writing (they would give up their DS and TV) if I would get them chickens! !! Gosh I wish I didnt wait until last summer! !! Talk about great therapy! !! Lol...ok I go way off subject. ..

What is the best way she can learn about showing amd the requirements? She loves her research ;) Did I mention she started her own dog bone business at the age of 9???? Love this girl! !!

I'm planning on coming to the Windsor show, next month. We tried to make it to the show, last fall, but the "check engine" light came on when we were about a half an hour from home. So, we turned around.
sad.png
My son thinks he wants to try showing. I'd like to get him involved in something like that or maybe 4-H. I did the horse science project with the Hancock County 4-H program when I was a kid. Loved it

Widget- I know what zoo you worked at! I lived around there when I was a kid! I don't really remember the zoo, just that I found it sad. I have never really been fond of zoos. I always want the animals to be free! I also lived next door to the Bronx Zoo. Didn't like that place much either.

Wow. I was there back in 1994. Believe me I can tell you stories about the place. On the other hand I worked at Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago and Lion Country Safari in Florida. Both really nice places where the animals were and are well treated. I have no issues with zoos if they are well run. Keepers are some of the most dedicated people I have ever known.

Back
Top Bottom