Maine

I had this happen yesterday. My mama & chicks were in the tractor only half was covered with a tarp. Unfortunately I was at the ER with severe stomach pain when the weather hit. When I got home at 8pm--mama was soaked from keeping the chicks covered. The rain must have come in sideways because the whole place was soaked. DH & I got chicks and mama back in the coop. I went back out with towels. Everyone seems fine today! I was so thankful I didn't put them out in the tractor today especially when I woke up to the torrential downpour today.
I hope you are ok, CoopChick!

Ours, for once, were smart enough to get out of the rain yesterday. A lot of the time we have to go out and chase them in.

I hope you are ok, CoopChick!

Ours, for once, were smart enough to get out of the rain yesterday. A lot of the time we have to go out and chase them in.
Thanks Mainechick!! I am much better today! All my older girls ran in to the pen & coop yesterday when the thunder hit but the "garage chicks" hid under the camper and wouldn't come in for my daughter. I went out & shook the treat can from inside the coop door, which was open BTW--it's all of 6 feet from the camper.
wink.png
They just needed some encouragement!

I was all excited when I checked the nest box today. The hay had been moved into a nice "nest" formation and the golf balls were in a neat little pile in the middle. I thought MAYBE my older girl is going to lay soon. Then I noticed the red feathers in the nest. I checked the second box and saw my 11 week red chicken rearranging the second box like the first. Bummer :-(

Need some advice on feed! I've been feeding Dumor since day 1. I've been feeding dry & fermented but the flock does not seem as interested in it as they once were. They also get some leftovers and BOSS maybe once or twice a week. I have 4 week olds up to 3 year olds. Any suggestions on a good multi-purpose feed?

Bragging rights! My 6 y.o.'s BSL "Hola" has been doing the egg song all afternoon. She's hunkered down in a corner of the coop. I noticed that one of the EE was standing by the food dish and looking kind of puffy. She's been trying to help the BSL with her nesting ritual, but her assistance was rebuffed rather crudely. SO... she went out and plopped her first egg on the ground by the food dish. It's a tiny little nugget, about 2" long, a nice respectable aqua color with white spots. She's not even 17 weeks old yet. So, Baby beat Hola to the punch without any fanfare!

Bragging rights!  My 6 y.o.'s BSL "Hola" has been doing the egg song all afternoon.  She's hunkered down in a corner of the coop.  I noticed that one of the EE was standing by the food dish and looking kind of puffy.  She's been trying to help the BSL with her nesting ritual, but her assistance was rebuffed rather crudely.  SO... she went out and plopped her first egg on the ground by the food dish.  It's a tiny little nugget, about 2" long, a nice respectable aqua color with white spots.  She's not even 17 weeks old yet.  So, Baby beat Hola to the punch without any fanfare!
Yeah lazy gardener! That rocks!

Need some advice on feed! I've been feeding Dumor since day 1. I've been feeding dry & fermented but the flock does not seem as interested in it as they once were. They also get some leftovers and BOSS maybe once or twice a week. I have 4 week olds up to 3 year olds. Any suggestions on a good multi-purpose feed?

I like Blue Seal. They get the Turkey Grower (I think it's called Multi Flock Grower/Starter now) and they look great on it. They also get BOSS daily.

Cyndi - that red faced one is 100% roo.

Thanks to all you let me know that the red faced one is a roo, but I have 2 of those ! The rest of them don't have any red. Will the 2 of them fight? One is larger then the other and he seems to be the leader. Hoping with 10 hens the 2 will get along!

Congrats on the first eggs!
ya.gif

Ahh this rain is killing me. I have so much garden work to do and right now there is a stream running through the garden :( I had so many plans for my two days off that involved being outside. garden needs weeding badly, beans need a trellis built, peonies need to be dead headed in the worst way... Ack! I feel bad for the turkeys and chickens in the tractor - they have shelter but the ground is still pretty wet. Poor guys.

Oh well, time to get inside chores done - patch the house paint and vacuum - maybe do a little baking. I am going to make a low fat key lime pie for a work cookout on sunday - hopefully it won't get rained out.

In other news I processed my first meat chicken from beginning to end the other day. It was not easy and I felt pretty wretched for a little bit but I was proud of myself for being able to do it all.

Back
Top Bottom