Maine

We can see the light at the end of the tunnel now
Yay!
wee.gif

Any other Mainers joining the Easter hatch-a-long?

Hard to believe it looking outside, but the sun feels warmer by the day!

I don't hatch myself, but if my broody goes broody, I am definitely sticking eggs under her! I'm hoping she goes around April or May... let it be reliably warmer.

Had to put down one of my three remaining hens from my "original" flock. I feel like 4 years old is pretty good for hatchery stock, but it is always hard to lose one. She had been slowing down a bit for a few months, but really took a turn about 2 days ago and it was clear she wasn't coming back. Couldn't figure out what exactly was wrong. :-/ We took the body way into the woods... at least a fox is eating well tonight.

Sorry to hear about your hen Izzybella.
I also have a couple hens that were original hatchery stock. A bunch from my original stock was given away, a bunch died, and a few favorites we kept. The strange thing is, my white Brahma that I am very fond of never seemed healthy. Even as a chick, she would sometimes make these choking sounds.
Now she wheezes like she has asthma, chokes down water, and is rather rotund. And in May, she will be 7 years old! Hard to believe she will make it until May, but I was saying that a few years ago too.

Such a beautiful day has me thinking about spring. The girls have done so well all winter. We used a heated drinker base for their water and layered the shavings in their coop super deep. The run is wrapped in opaque poly and the roof of the run are clear corrugated plastic roof panels. We put a glass door on the bottom of the door to the run so that they could at least see out through there. The only snafu all winter was me locking myself IN the run/coop right before the super bowl! I couldnt stop laughing. I had to call my son home from a friends house that was over 25 minutes away to let me out. So thankful that I grabbed my cell phone as an afterthought just as I headed down to the coop to put the girls in for the night.

Such a beautiful day has me thinking about spring. The girls have done so well all winter. We used a heated drinker base for their water and layered the shavings in their coop super deep. The run is wrapped in opaque poly and the roof of the run are clear corrugated plastic roof panels. We put a glass door on the bottom of the door to the run so that they could at least see out through there. The only snafu all winter was me locking myself IN the run/coop right before the super bowl! I couldnt stop laughing. I had to call my son home from a friends house that was over 25 minutes away to let me out. So thankful that I grabbed my cell phone as an afterthought just as I headed down to the coop to put the girls in for the night.
thats hilarious!! i hope you guys didnt miss any of the game!!

now you'll need to look into some way of an exit from the run

I was laughing so hard he thought I was crying! SO funny! I think the door has swollen and shifted a bit, when I closed the door from the inside, the outside lock slides over just enough to lock me in. My poor dog was so confused. At first she thought it was some sort of game, then she just sat down and barked, looking sad.

Back
Top Bottom