Maine

Hi! I might be interested. Can I pick up only a few, or do you want the person to take all 50? And what will you do with them if no one takes them?

Hi! I know it's maybe a long shot, but I would rather off-load all of them at once. I'm not sure what I will do with them if I can't find someone. Most likely cull them and keep the breasts and thighs for dog food so I don't have to eviscerate - compost the rest. Sorry if that's a little brazen. My business partners are pushing me to get rid of them so we can make more profit from the laying flock since they are most likely not laying enough to make it worth it to feed them organic feed. We are preparing to go through the organic certification process so we can't feed out anything but organic.

Well unfortunately I don't have nearly enough room for all the them. If I did take some, it would only be like... 4 or 5. :hmm I'd like to rescue at least some of them from slaughter.

Edit: How old are they?

I hear ya. They are between 2.5 and 5 years old, but I live on an unbridged island so I will have to take them off the island by boat. 4 or 5 wouldn't be worth the trip I don't think.

I hear ya. They are between 2.5 and 5 years old, but I live on an unbridged island so I will have to take them off the island by boat. 4 or 5 wouldn't be worth the trip I don't think.

Did your farm recently post an ad for summer help on Good Food Jobs? I was so tempted to apply, but I don't know what I would do with my rabbits and breeding flocks. I've worked too hard on my lines to liquidate and start over later. It sounded like an excellent opportunity to get acquainted with the area and community and growing conditions while looking for the right plot of land to work up there myself.

Did your farm recently post an ad for summer help on Good Food Jobs? I was so tempted to apply, but I don't know what I would do with my rabbits and breeding flocks. I've worked too hard on my lines to liquidate and start over later. It sounded like an excellent opportunity to get acquainted with the area and community and growing conditions while looking for the right plot of land to work up there myself.
We didn't, but there are a surprising amount of farms out here on the islands.

We didn't, but there are a surprising amount of farms out here on the islands.

Interesting! Is most of your market for the community on the island or do you sell to the mainland too? I was wondering how the the salt air might affect growing things there. I had some trouble with it when I lived briefly seaside in Mexico and my friends that lived near the water in Hawaii also complain about that.

Interesting! Is most of your market for the community on the island or do you sell to the mainland too? I was wondering how the the salt air might affect growing things there. I had some trouble with it when I lived briefly seaside in Mexico and my friends that lived near the water in Hawaii also complain about that.
Mostly selling stuff to people here. We have sold stuff on the mainland, but it's hard to get a weekly schedule going over there. And expensive. Used to be someone would stop by here and pick up a bunch of stuff from all the farms out here and then deliver it to the mainland.
I've grown way better veggies here than I ever did in Colorado when I lived there so I havent noticed the salt air being a problem. I think the animal meat grown here and other animal products like milk tastes better for it.

Back
Top Bottom