Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Darker than the phone camera shows - there is a grey (blue) undertone. These tend to be my most attractive birds, actually, when hey end up with the grey underbellies.

1718971967340.png

Will get pics of the latest hatchlings soon. Debating starting another hatch. Next week's long weekend priority is new predator protection for the birds. I think I'm going to build a 50' x 50' chain link enclosure, use the fence as the ground, and run some solar-powered hot lines around the outside. Metal fence on wood posts, ala

1719752493172.png

My main fence should discourage large predators, its got all the voltage - this will just be for small critters tring to scale the fencing.
Will need to come up with some way to keep the "littles" from simply going out between the links. Debating either the "privacy fence" stuff (fancy woven nylon screen, basically) or some harder solution. Yes, chicken wire would do it too, but it rots so quickly in my climate - if I use it, it will be on the inside of the 4x4s, which will create a 3 1/2" gap to discourage predators like trash panda from simply reaching thru to grab my birds.

Would love to paint the fence black to reduce its visibility, but that would defeat the fence grounding. :(

Last edited:
$2,000 in materials in the cart for a 6' fence, posts, concrete, framing, nails, two gates, and horizontal boards to enclose 50x60. No roof, no relocation of the rabbits, and no delivery until after the coming holiday...

I may need to rethink this. Can repurpose a lot of the materials from the existing hen house, but not enough.

Back
Top Bottom