Male or female dark brahma?

Thanks! Two have pale, fluffy chests. One has a dark chest, more feathered. I'll keep an eye on them. I appreciate your reply.
Glad to help. Also typically in Brahmas females tend to feather in faster than males. Especially on their backs, male tend to have bare backs when they are young.

Glad to help. Also typically in Brahmas females tend to feather in faster than males. Especially on their backs, male tend to have bare backs when they are young.
Ah ha! I had read that on a British forum and on an American blog, and I was convinced from that info that I have two fast-feathering females (shoulder feather, fluffy feet, long tails, long wings) and one male (slow to feather in all those areas, also the one that has the darker chest now).

Thank you for adding the voice of experience to this conjecture. Very helpful. I'll wait and see, now.

I checked my calendar, and the little Dark Brahmas are just over 5 weeks old. I would love some help, so here are pics:

Pic #1 (Left to Right) Spark (slower feathering, smaller tail), Shimmer and Sabre

Pic #2 Sabre (lightest chick)

Pic #3 Shimmer

Pic #4 Spark (very cuddly, friendly.)

I'm not seeing solid black chest feather on anyone. Does that mean I have three pullets? Or is it still early? I have heard that chicks are 'fully feathered' at 5 weeks, and I am not seeing the chick down anymore. Thanks!

Last edited:
I checked my calendar, and the little Dark Brahmas are just over 5 weeks old. I would love some help, so here are pics:

Pic #1 (Left to Right) Spark (slower feathering, smaller tail), Shimmer and Sabre

Pic #3 Shimmer

I'm not seeing solid black chest feather on anyone. Does that mean I have three pullets? Or is it still early? I have heard that chicks are 'fully feathered' at 5 weeks, and I am not seeing the chick down anymore. Thanks!
Looks like you have all girls.

Looks like you have all girls.
Thank you for your patience and help, @junebuggena
smile.png

Too bad that local ordinances forbid selling of backyard eggs! It looks like I'll have an overload, come summer.

Pic #3 Shimmer

all pullets

all pullets
Thanks so much!! I am wondering...is it normal for Dark Brahmas to have so much feather variation between pullets, or are mine deviating from breed standard? I can easily tell them apart, and I guess I thought all DB pullets would look identical. Do you think I will still be able to tell them apart easily when they are grown hens?

If they are hatchery stock, variation is pretty common. If they are from a reputable breeder, the variations aren't exactly normal but still possible. They may look more similar after their 'teenage' molt.

If they are hatchery stock, variation is pretty common. If they are from a reputable breeder, the variations aren't exactly normal but still possible. They may look more similar after their 'teenage' molt.
Well, the eggs were from a breeder, and advertised as "show quality." Here is a pic of their hens. Thanks for letting me know a molt may make the pullets look more uniform. :)

Thanks so much!! I am wondering...is it normal for Dark Brahmas to have so much feather variation between pullets, or are mine deviating from breed standard? I can easily tell them apart, and I guess I thought all DB pullets would look identical. Do you think I will still be able to tell them apart easily when they are grown hens?
Brahmas can change a lot in their first few molts so hopefully they'll even out. Are they eggs from eBay? I think I've seen this picture before.

Back
Top Bottom