Malformed egg

Amc29

Songster
5 Years
Feb 20, 2019
SW Oregon
I candled my chicken eggs this morning (day 7), and realized that one of them is fairly malformed. I do not remember it being this way when I put it in (not impossible, but I don't remember it being this way). So far, development looks great, but I am concerned with viability going forward. I just read that malformed eggs are not good for hatching, but I also don't want to toss an egg that so far seems to be doing fine. Any experience with--or knowledge of--this situation?

Attachments

• 20190313_095122.jpg
    20190313_095122.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 20
Unless the egg's porous, which would make it more susceptible to bacteria and possibly lead to weaker bones on the chick, I see no reason it couldn't hatch a healthy chick. What's it look like when you candle?

Unless the egg's porous, which would make it more susceptible to bacteria and possibly lead to weaker bones on the chick, I see no reason it couldn't hatch a healthy chick. What's it look like when you candle?
It has an obvious little air pocket and the veining is visible, definitely see the expected development.

That isn't too bad, the only thing i'd worry about is sometimes those are thin shelled.
Normal shells get thinner as chicks grow so an already thin one could pop.
It is your choice, if its doing fine just carry on.:)
That is a concerning idea. Hopefully it doesn't do that :( Is there anyway to really identify it as a concerningly thin egg? I don't want an egg popping on my healthy egg and dirtying up my incubator.

I mean, it's always best not to set malformed eggs, but you gotta have some perspective. If my turner is full and I still have eggs left, you bet I'm not going to include anything malformed. If there's plenty of space available and I'd like all the chicks I can get from a mating, I'd include one that looked like that. Though, personally, I would probably make sure I separated it at lockdown and I'd mark it upon hatching. But, I'm following a rather rigorous breeding program with certain goals in mind. Something that hatched out of a "bad" shell like that would go in my laying pen or be sold. But that's me.

That is a concerning idea. Hopefully it doesn't do that :( Is there anyway to really identify it as a concerningly thin egg? I don't want an egg popping on my healthy egg and dirtying up my incubator.
That's what they mean by asking you to candle and see if it's especially porous. If it's porous, it will have a mottled appearance, kind of like polka dotted, but not exactly.

Back
Top Bottom