Mama heating bad or brooder plate, help setting up a brooder? Ducklings.

Feb 5, 2022
Wyoming
I have 5 ducks eggs incubating right now, they are set to possibly hatch on the 12th of July this month. This is my first time using an incubator to hatch eggs.

I am not planning on using a heat lamp if I can so help it. I am thinking either a brooder plate or heating pad.

I have been learning a lot about the mama heating pad setup, and would like to try using it to brood the 5 possible ducklings, I just am unsure of the size and which brand/type of heating pad to buy. I have heard many who use the mama heating pad to brood, prefer and use Sunbeam heating pads.
Also it's recommended to have one without auto shut offs, and for it to have more then three heat options.

I haven't brooded ducklings without a broody duck in about 6 years, so I feel like a newbie and there's a lot to learn still. Hatching these eggs was a very spur of the moment thing (my pekin duck passed away and her last egg is incubating) so I didn't have much planning before this.

I plan to have plenty of greens and supplements at the ready, I need to figure out what all to get and then get it.

I have many different options for a brooder, I need to figure out where it will go and get it set up.

It's day 21 and last candling all 5 eggs were developing wonderfully.

Did you read the thread on this brooding system? https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

There is some good information in the first dozen pages or so. I was on the thread in the beginning, and we carefully confronted problems we all encountered and solved them. I've been using this system ever since.

You must have a heating pad that will not shut off automatically after a certain interval or the babies will be without heat most of the night. Choose the size that will cover the number of babies you'll be brooding. You can get away with three settings, but six are better.

Each week, you will raise the supporting frame to accommodate the growing ducklings. They won't need it but a month or so. They will wean themselves.

The principle difference between a heating pad system and a heat plate is the heating pad comes in direct contact with the babies' backs, just as a mama duck does. A heat plate is more of a radiant heating system. In fact, some heat plates have been know to burn babies coming into contact. Heat plates also do not heat babies well enough in below freezing temps. The heating pad system does.

Did you read the thread on this brooding system? https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

There is some good information in the first dozen pages or so. I was on the thread in the beginning, and we carefully confronted problems we all encountered and solved them. I've been using this system ever since.

You must have a heating pad that will not shut off automatically after a certain interval or the babies will be without heat most of the night. Choose the size that will cover the number of babies you'll be brooding. You can get away with three settings, but six are better.

Each week, you will raise the supporting frame to accommodate the growing ducklings. They won't need it but a month or so. They will wean themselves.

The principle difference between a heating pad system and a heat plate is the heating pad comes in direct contact with the babies' backs, just as a mama duck does. A heat plate is more of a radiant heating system. In fact, some heat plates have been know to burn babies coming into contact. Heat plates also do not heat babies well enough in below freezing temps. The heating pad system does.
Great, thx!
I have read though it yes! I am definitely going with heating pad, a brooder plate seems like a waste and not as beneficial. This is my last brood for the time this current flock is around. So a heating pad can be used for other things whereas a brooder plate...

The eggs are wiggling day 25 ish rn.

I am so stressed about the brooder setup I feel like my setup is terrible. 3 ducklings hatched today, hopefully a fourth soon. I plan to get them in a brooder in the morning but feel like my setup is just terrible. Perhaps I am over thinking? Tomorrow I have to go to town so I will get some things the ducklings require and look for a better heating pad, I am using one we already had, but it's not the best for this need. Testing it right now, I have a cardboard box holding it, and some towels around it, no bedding in the area yet as I am not sure I even want to use this kennel. I cleaned up an old cat/small dog playpen today to possibly use as a brooder, they likely won't be inside very long just about a week.

I just want the best for the little ones, and right now I feel like I can't achieve that 😢

The brooder was set up last night got the ducklings in around midnight. 4 ducklings all cozy in their cave and even on it. I found a heating pad I was looking for and brought down an old storage tub that's not been being used.
The ducklings were in the incubator a little bit longer then preferred I believe when I put them in the brooder and before the brooder they had clear discharge from their nares, normal for ducklings? Or ammonia issues or what? I haven't really observed them yet this morning they seem healthy and bright eyed from what I hear and have seen from afar. They also got some fresh water at first (warm) and then some nutri drench water after being in the brooder for the first time, I left the water out as didn't have it set up yet.
Last night I had to make sure they knew the cave was warm it felt like putting a baby to sleep or something, turned the lights off and blocked the entrance for a bit. So far the heating pad hasn't shut off it doesn't say anything about auto shut off, and it has instructions for like multiple different models.

They also got some fresh water at first (warm) and then some nutri drench water after being in the brooder for the first time, I left the water out as didn't have it set up yet.
Do you mean that they didn’t have access to any water overnight? Ducklings NEED water deep enough to dunk their entire head 24/7. They otherwise cannot clean their eyes, nares and swallow their food correctly.

Back
Top Bottom