Managing upcoming integration

Sally PB

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
I have 3 12-week old pullets that I need to integrate into my existing flock of 3 hens and a rooster. They have been in a look-don't-touch coop and run for about 5 weeks now. I have some worries about my upcoming integration. Here's the pertinent info:

The bottom hen of my existing flock, Lark, picks on the new birds. She reaches through the fence and pecks them whenever they get too close. I have been giving them their afternoon snack (their feed wetted into a mash) in spoonfuls dumped on both sides of the fence. If Lark can reach one of the littles, she nails it. Yes, I know this is common for the bottom hen to do; finally she has someone lower than herself.

I plan to take down the fence Saturday night after lock up. I will also rearrange the run and add 5 new (big, scary!) things to clutter up the run. Sunday morning when they leave the coop, everyone will have to deal with the new surroundings.

I have stuff that the littles can get up on, and some to run behind, out of sight. I have built a "food shelter" that is closed on 3 sides, so they have a place to eat without being visible from 3 sides. I am putting out extra feed and water stations.

I have read that night time can be very stressful. The fence down the middle of the coop is coming down too. Right now, the littles sleep in the far back corner of their area. I will be installing another roost Sunday, and put it at a lower height than the existing one for the adults.

I have a dog crate, should I need to separate Lark to keep her from seriously hurting anyone.

What do I look for, as a sign I need to pull Lark out of there? Obviously, if she's holding a bird down, but are there any other clues? Should I do it as a preventative measure before they go in for the night, or see how it goes? The crate won't fit in the coop (it's an XXL), so she would be spending the night in the crate, out in the run. I am confident of the security of my run, but the birds have ALWAYS been locked in the coop at night. Should I put her in the garage to be safe?

Any chance my rooster will intervene? These are brooder chicks, not "his" chicks.

Any other tips and suggestions are welcome. I'm tagging some of the experts.

@aart @DobieLover @sourland @3KillerBs @LaFleche

I have built a "food shelter" that is closed on 3 sides, so they have a place to eat without being visible from 3 sides.

Can you partially open the back of this structure? You don't want any spaces where a bully can corner a newcomer. :)

I've only done 2 integrations so far, but following the same advice you've had from @aart, @DobieLover and others they were quite successful.

Now that the Splits are approaching POL they're even hanging out with the Ladies.

I have built a "food shelter" that is closed on 3 sides, so they have a place to eat without being visible from 3 sides.
This could be a deadly trap.

I would separate Lark before taking the fence down and just leave her in the garage at night, this will allow the youngsters to integrate nicely.

IMG_E1498.JPG

This is about 36" wide and about 18" deep. I was going to put food in one corner, and water in the other. Is this open enough, or should I open up the back?

The board in the back is about 22" tall. I could cut it in half horizontally, would that be a good idea? I was planning on leaning a pallet against the back of this, so there would be another hiding spot.

At least one week, maybe even longer as judging by your description, she is still very nasty.
Ok, update on the plan then...

Saturday night, I'll take Lark off the roost and put her in the crate in the garage. Sunday, everyone but Lark goes out to Rearranged Land, and Lark can be in the run, in the crate. Then back into the garage at lock up. For a week.

I could cut it in half horizontally, would that be a good idea? I was planning on leaning a pallet against the back of this, so there would be another hiding spot.

You only need to take about 6" off the bottom -- that way a chick can duck under but it still provides a visual block from an adult chicken.

Back
Top Bottom