Mate in September

Hello.

Mine do stand up, the pictures I've taken here were un the morning were they were foraging and swimming 🏊‍♂️, they were I considered rescues from a flea market where I purchased them but actually, I don't care if they're purebred😀

Thank you, purebred or not is fine with me, I really don't know if they're purebred.

So... after reading what you have written here, I have thought about that AND looked at some more pictures... and I now feel your girls are purebred Indian Runner hens, but "just" overweight...?
I know you don't care, but for my part, I am really curious... so, I hope someone who are familiar with mixed breed do intervene here...?

P.S. when I got the runners, they were missing feathers and so skinny and weak, so if they're considered "overweight " so be it, fat and sassy I prefer over scared, weak and scrawny 🦆

...I want to tell you : these girls are lucky you found them.
If they were so weak, you have probably even saved their life...

Still, do be careful to NOT let them get too large : indeed, being overweight is not good for them, and can even prevent your girls from laying eggs.
(But still, it's probably better for them to be overweight than to be too skinny!)

...What do you feed them, exactly?

the Cayuga I bought from a reputable breader and I'm getting some Silver heads, a pair.

I own two Cayuga young drakes, and they are amazing.

I have bought the eggs online, and I got these two boys from them...
(No girls, sadly; but the boys are really beautiful...!)

One of them - Max - is already getting in his adult/nuptial plumage... (he is born on JUNE 16th)
...and really : until not long ago, I thought the pictures on the Internet was photoshopped to exaggerate the Cayuga's shine...!!
But what did I know?
My Max is litterally green all over, and so SHINY he is a rainbow even in the shade!! (And he did not even finish to emerge his feathers yet!)

"Wow"
for Cayuga ducks!!

I'm getting some Silver heads, a pair.

What do you call "Silver heads"?
...Silver Appleyard ducks?

I absolutely appreciate all the information you've given me because I'm absolutely new at all this so i can use all the information and help available 😀.

I really appreciate all the research you've given me🥹♥️

I am happy you are happy.

Do no hesitate to ask questions if ever you have some!

Either way , I love all the babies I've been able to ❤️ love🦆

I sit with mine in the morning when they're busy eating. Where I live it's hot and humid right mow so the afternoon I'm inside. I make sure all they're food and water are changed daily but in the early hours I only have 10 total ducks, I git them for a hobby afyer major back surgery so I could be busy. I. live on 126 acres in North Central Arkansas.

Yeah... you sound like you need your ducks as much they need you...
We can see you love them sincerely!
They have to be really happy to live with you!!

Good luck with them.
They are a lot of work, but : what you lose by taking care of them, you are winning back in pieces of happiness.

My husband feeds the genuine duck food, im certain name but ill find out. I feed them once a day. I have 126 acres where I live so they get to Rome as well as they have 4 pools with the water changed every other day with their feed water changed x2 a day. They're just healthy big birds, they're not feed treats or anything, they're not used to it, but their food is good. My husband has a degree in animal science among others. 🦆

Hello.

So... after reading what you have written here, I have thought about that AND looked at some more pictures... and I now feel your girls are purebred Indian Runner hens, but "just" overweight...?
I know you don't care, but for my part, I am really curious... so, I hope someone who are familiar with mixed breed do intervene here...?

Still, do be careful to NOT let them get too large : indeed, being overweight is not good for them, and can even prevent your girls from laying eggs.
(But still, it's probably better for them to be overweight than to be too skinny!)

One of them - Max - is already getting in his adult/nuptial plumage... (he is born on JUNE 16th)
...and really : until not long ago, I thought the pictures on the Internet was photoshopped to exaggerate the Cayuga's shine...!!
But what did I know?
My Max is litterally green all over, and so SHINY he is a rainbow even in the shade!! (And he did not even finish to emerge his feathers yet!)

"Wow"
for Cayuga ducks!!

Good luck with them.
They are a lot of work, but : what you lose by taking care of them, you are winning back in pieces of happiness.
It's a joy to be with them.♥️

Hello.

But what did I know?

"Wow"
for Cayuga ducks!!

Good luck with them.
Yes, Silver appleyard. Suppose to find out if the pair is still available tomorrow. I don't understand why you think they're overweight, they are just now 8 months old.

My husband feeds the genuine duck food, im certain name but ill find out. I feed them once a day.

If ever it could help... :

My ducks have an unlimited access to their food - even during the nights...

I give them a mix of wheat and duck/goose pellets, but they also tend to go eat my chickens' food : layer pellets, and Premium Mix for layers and ornamentals.

Of course, since I want the best for them, I also give them 100% natural products - preventively for their general health, but also to improve their feathers' quality : food grade Diatomaceous Earth, and plant-based pellets.

And given they freerange - apart from the days when the wind is much too strong for me to feel at ease letting my ducks non-enclosed -, they also eat grass, some aromatic plants, slugs and various insects...

I even give them fruits sometimes! (They love to steal the apples I throw to the chickens...!!)

Still : they are not overweight.
Thankfully, since I need my girls to lay a lot of eggs...!

Ducks usually know how to manage their calorie intake.
But : they still can need our help in case the food we give to them is not adequate for them...

It would help to know what your ducks eat - just to see if they need their current feed to be mixed or not...?

(Nevertheless : I am not familiar with American products, so I don't know if I would be of help...?)

I have 126 acres where I live so they get to Rome as well as they have 4 pools with the water changed every other day with their feed water changed x2 a day.

God... they can only be happy!!
(Good job!!)

They're just healthy big birds, they're not feed treats or anything, they're not used to it, but their food is good. My husband has a degree in animal science among others. 🦆

Don't worry : in spite of what I have written, I am not telling you you are not feeding your birds right.
(NOR am I actually CONFIRMING your girls are overweight!!)

I am mostly just curious.

...I love ducks.
So : trying to understand whatever make their overall appearance has been really fun for me since I have had access to great informations on (their) genetics...
(I am grateful to people who sincerely want to teach us about our birds...!)

Yes, Silver appleyard. Suppose to find out if the pair is still available tomorrow.

If you add Silver Appleyard ducks to your flock, it will be really colourful - and so, more beautiful yet to look at!!

Hope you can get them. And post pictures...!!

I don't understand why you think they're overweight, they are just now 8 months old.

Because, in my (humble) opinion, they look a tiny bit too much "round" - especially around the sternum - for Runners to not be overweight... especially since they are so young.

That's why I first thought they were mixed...

...but what do I know?
Maybe these ducks have a healthy weight, and I am 100% mistaken - I don't know...
(Hard to see with pictures alone... and I insist on the fact I am NO expert...! And so : you don't have to take me seriously if you don't want to!)

Your girls still are cute, and seem to be happy enough to not worry excessively...!

If ever it could help... :

My ducks have an unlimited access to their food - even during the nights...

I give them a mix of wheat and duck/goose pellets, but they also tend to go eat my chickens' food : layer pellets, and Premium Mix for layers and ornamentals.

Of course, since I want the best for them, I also give them 100% natural products - preventively for their general health, but also to improve their feathers' quality : food grade Diatomaceous Earth, and plant-based pellets.

And given they freerange - apart from the days when the wind is much too strong for me to feel at ease letting my ducks non-enclosed -, they also eat grass, some aromatic plants, slugs and various insects...

I even give them fruits sometimes! (They love to steal the apples I throw to the chickens...!!)

Still : they are not overweight.
Thankfully, since I need my girls to lay a lot of eggs...!

Ducks usually know how to manage their calorie intake.
But : they still can need our help in case the food we give to them is not adequate for them...

It would help to know what your ducks eat - just to see if they need their current feed to be mixed or not...?

(Nevertheless : I am not familiar with American products, so I don't know if I would be of help...?)

God... they can only be happy!!
(Good job!!)

Don't worry : in spite of what I have written, I am not telling you you are not feeding your birds right.
(NOR am I actually CONFIRMING your girls are overweight!!)

I am mostly just curious.

...I love ducks.
So : trying to understand whatever make their overall appearance has been really fun for me since I have had access to great informations on (their) genetics...
(I am grateful to people who sincerely want to teach us about our birds...!)

If you add Silver Appleyard ducks to your flock, it will be really colourful - and so, more beautiful yet to look at!!

Hope you can get them. And post pictures...!!

Because, in my (humble) opinion, they look a tiny bit too much "round" - especially around the sternum - for Runners to not be overweight... especially since they are so young.

That's why I first thought they were mixed...

...but what do I know?
Maybe these ducks have a healthy weight, and I am 100% mistaken - I don't know...
(Hard to see with pictures alone... and I insist on the fact I am NO expert...! And so : you don't have to take me seriously if you don't want to!)

Your girls still are cute, and seem to be happy enough to not worry excessively...!
I'll ask my husband the name of the feed I can see the feed, just can't remember the name lol I'm not worried or take you litterally, I respect you'd like to know😀 im never worried, im just enjoyed these lovely animals and all the joy they've given me. They're my favorite part of my day besides Mt husband, I'm Nadia by the way, nice to meet you🦆💚

I'll ask my husband the name of the feed I can see the feed, just can't remember the name lol I'm not worried or take you litterally, I respect you'd like to know😀 im never worried, im just enjoyed these lovely animals and all the joy they've given me. They're my favorite part of my day besides Mt husband, I'm Nadia by the way, nice to meet you🦆💚
The feed we have is also of a pellet sort. I'll check into the other sort of feed you've written about 😀

Back
Top Bottom