Mating saddle problem -

SSH

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2021
My poor little frizzle chicken had some missing back and wing feathers due to over mating - solved that problem (gave 1 rooster away, got 5 more hens) but -- I had put a mating saddle on her, duck cloth with wing flaps. I don't know if it's because of the curled feathers or what, but now her whole back is bare (not open, but reddened), and she has hardly any wing feathers (can't even fly up to the roost, has started sleeping in the nesting box). I considered protecting her with something softer such as crocheting a sweater that doesn't have to touch her sore wings; but that would be wet and cold during rains. Any ideas? Right now she's going without any protection and the weather is still early-spring cool.

After a few of my early hens got bare backs from the young rooster, I simply made some soft stretchy polar fleece one piece hen aprons/saddles. I took a 7x9 inch piece of cloth, I cut 2 wings slits, and the fleece just stayed on with the wings. Then I could trim the excess with scissors, and there was no sewing. Those inexpensive fleece throws are about the right type of material. The picture in this link below is similar to what I made. The wing slits are about 2 inches. If too long they may get them off. If too short, it will be hard to get on. Just pull it off and start over.

Thank you! I will definitely try that, and you're right, poly fleece should dry faster than a knitted fabric if it should get wet (they're free range).

Back
Top Bottom