May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Ok so came home to 2 eggs that are pipped and I swear I hear cheeping 🐣🐣 however my humidity has dropped to 57%......... is this a yikes moment and try to add water in the vent hole or just leave it as the humidity will increase once they start hatching?

I would crack the lid, move any eggs out of the way and pour in a little warm water from a cream pitcher or similar, but not a huge amount. It's probably not a big deal, but why take the chance?

If you're doing a large hatch, you may end up too humid doing this--if so, you'll want to sop up some water with a damp tea towel (absorbs better than dry) That is an awkward task, so go easy adding the water. You can always add more. I open my incubator during lock-down. I haven't seen shrink wrapping yet (not to say I never will). Some things you read will make you think if you crack the lid for a half a second, they're all gonna die. This is not in fact the case. Don't be afraid to open it if you really need (or really want) to open it for some reason.

For example:
  • To check for internal pips
  • To add water
  • To remove water
  • To listen to your eggs for peeping or pecking/nibbling
  • To look for movement via candling
  • To take out chicks who've been in for a long time or are not drying out b/c too humid. (They're okay for 3 days but who can stand that? and, They'll dry out just fine under heat in their brooder.)
  • To take out chicks who are begging to be cuddled and photographed
  • To assist if needed, if you're up for that
  • Even just because you want the chick to hatch in your hand.
I have done all of these things except the last (but I did see a pic here of someone who did do it) on at least a few occasions, which doesn't necessarily mean it would always be advisable. Use your sense and your intuition. My point is, you don't need to be afraid. If they're gonna be okay for all other reasons, you opening the lid to add water is not going to hurt/kill them.

I think a lot of it has to do with common sense and knowing your surroundings. If you live in a really dry location it will have more of an effect than if the ambient humidity is high. Certain incubators loose humidity faster or take longer to achieve ideal humidity again. If you are not comfortable with the idea of assisted hatching, then you might want to be more cautious once they have externally pipped. If the chicks are healthy, they can go through quite a bit and still make it!

I was in and out of the incubator a lot during the last lockdown (as I was assisting a weak chick and didn't have a spare incubator for it) and everyone made it out okay, but I live in an area of high ambient humidity and am very comfortable with my incubator and assisted hatching if needed as a last resort. Be cautious and use common sense - do what you are comfortable with.

Last edited:
Incubator 1: day 28! 4 turkeys and a 5th one zippering!
Incubator 2: day 22 I have 12 chicks. Had a total of 14 hatch, 2 passed pretty dang quick-one had an intestinal separation :/ and the other hatched and just passed. Had 4 quit mid zipper, and I still have a bunch, but I think they are done-I snuck a stethoscope in and heard nothing. :/ I have one with wry neck and I have been babying it and giving it Vitamin drench and stuff...
Incubator 3: day 19 I don’t have high hopes, I just don’t have a great feeling but we shall see!

Update: All of my chicks have hatched except the one that was thoroughly smooshed by hens in the coop before it had even internally pipped. Surprisingly, it has survived almost 12 hours and is happily absorbing its yolk and veins below the brooder in its own little bowl. I'm dutifully moistening the membrane every half hour - this could be a long night. I think he should be ready to hatch in a few hours though based on the progression of the absorbing, but of course I'm invested now so there will be no rushing :)

this could be a long night. I think he should be ready to hatch in a few hours though based on the progression of the absorbing, but of course I'm invested now so there will be no rushing :)
My first reaction was, "I would not...then I thought about the assists and the special chick each hatch that has some problem. Yup, I would be doing the same thing.". You are awesome!

My first reaction was, "I would not...then I thought about the assists and the special chick each hatch that has some problem. Yup, I would be doing the same thing.". You are awesome!

This little chick is just too determined to live for me to give up on it now :) I don't need to assist often, but felt responsible for this one as I moved them to the coop and under the broody for hatch day. I tried to put her in a different location where she wouldn't be disturbed, but she refused to sit except for in the same corner of the coop.

One little Turk remaining. My son cried a bit over the other little guy. He’s 13, so he tried to hold it in.

But his new little buddy spends the day with him. This bird laid on its side and flailed its legs and couldn’t stand up at all for 3 full days. Hand/force fed and watered him for those 3 days. He’s walking now and starting to eat.

Chimichanga
279D3C50-B58A-4123-B441-F01A67C91DB9.jpeg

D141DA2D-34A3-408F-BCCF-4DADA5B5A38F.jpeg

All 6/6 potluck eggs have hatched and 1 guinea so far.

Surprise camping trip cut short. My other half put unleaded in the diesel, complete accident. We’ve had diesels for years! :confused: Guess I’ll be home for hatching and potluck eggs at the post office.
F6D65700-E424-4C1C-A8FA-C900B4B6616D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom