McLean Hen??

Thanks Prarie Chicken, I'll stop complaining about the fighting roosters now, its nice to know they are tied out for good reasons. I have seen some beautiful birds on tie lines.

Interesting this should come up again. Tonight, at work, I met a guy that said he used to breed fighting cocks in Texas (don't know how long ago). He said that a trio of 2 hens and a rooster could sell for $3500.00!! Is that true!?

Yep, it is the same with pit bulls, rottweilers, etc., the poor animals get a stereotype and description attatched to them due to their historical use, and after a few high profile cases, they all carry the stigma. If you ever raise any gamefowl, be they american, oeg, oriental, etc., it would be hard to raise fowl without always raising a few. I have an asil that follows me around and "talks" to me whenever I have him out in the yard. They have such strong personalities, more like my 3 year old than a chicken...LOL...

Quote:
As with any animal, the right bloodlines and pedigrees can fetch high dollars. With the ban on importation of birds due to bird flu, many european and oriental breeds continue to rise in worth due to the narrow available gene pool. But remember, something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it....sometimes it just depends on how bad you want it...LOL...

what is their temperment?

i am assuming that it varies from bird to bird, and i did note that there was a mention of breeding out meanness

can they be kept with standards? assuming there isnt another rooster

that thing about tying them out in the yard-I saw a picture of that sooooo-I tried that with a couple of my birds when I was out in the yard and they fought like nuts to get loose-they did not like it at all (well I took it off right away) but I am wondering how you would get them used to that-I woudnt do it unless I was outside and wanted to keep two males apart (I think thats why I did it) and outside but still in the same yard
idunno.gif

My great grandpa had a line-I am going to go look that up and then post here and see if anyone has heard of it

Last edited:
In my experience, game chickens usually get used to that tie cord after a half hour or so. they learn how far they can go, and that will stay with them forever. Every time you put them on a cord after that, they ease to the edge, learn their boundaries, then are all good.

well I will have to try that again this summer

I FOUND IT This is from the Game Fanciers Journal December issue 1907

My great grandpa Chas. L. Hines and Mart Burns are pictured on the cover. It says that Chas L Hines lived in Mechanicsville, Iowa. Chas L Hines breeder of the Great Scientific

so is that a line? sounds like it.

one short quote from the Game Fanciers Journal "...Cocks of this class, strong enough to carry a sack of wheat on their backs......" a little history??

they are truly impressive

i am glad that individuals such as yourselves are preserving these important breeds

if only i had more room.....

There are many methods of keeping gamefowl as well as other fowl.

There are certain pros and cons that come with each setup, much like breeding programs. What you are likely referring to is a barrel colony. The birds are often tethered by a rubberized cord. The hitch, (the apparatus that attaches the cord to the leg), is often made from or lined with a very soft leather such as goatskin, sheepskin, or moleskin. Some hitches are made from vinyl, nylon, neoprene or plastic.

Barrel colonies have the advantage of providing light and fresh grass while keeping everything organized.

Pens offer better protection from predators and allow for matings if allowed.

Coops offer even better protection from predators and the elements but are more expensive to construct and maintain.

Usually, at set intervals, no matter the set up, the breeder or keeper will remove the birds from there "home" and bring them to a "flypen". A flypen is a large enclose area that is used to provide a spacious environment in which the fowl can be themselves and exercise, jumping from roost to roost and having enough room for the fowl to gain height and distance to expend energy and do the things that makes the fowl happy.

Back
Top Bottom