Meet Miracle

Farmgirl283420

Rounding up cockerels
Premium Feather Member
Feb 21, 2023
My broody hen Enola went broody and me and my hen Amelia already were raising our own chicks. The coop was getting a little full but I gave her two eggs to try to hatch and decided not to interfere like I did with Amelia. She daily got kicked off her nest but when the hen was gone would go back and sit. I wasn’t surprised but I was upset when one of her eggs got popped pretty early on getting sticky goo all over her remaining egg. I candled the egg soon after and it didn’t look like there was anything in it but I put it back and hoped for the best. Another egg that a chicken had laid in the nest box got broken getting more sticky goo on the egg and it’s hatch day was coming up! The day before the egg hatched I candles again and found the baby moving around! I was amazed and excited and decided that if the little one hatched I would name her Miracle or Mira for short. The chickens daily kicked Enola off her nest so I was worried the same would happen and then Mira would hatch under one of my other chickens so I blocked Enola off the night before and she stayed. Later the next day I found Enola had jumped out going to another nest box and a wet baby laying in the nest box next to her broken shell. Enola welcomed her little baby even if she hadn’t hatched under her and I was so excited!
IMG_7617.jpeg
I again blocked them off afraid of what the flock might do to such a tiny little baby chick. I went on with my day and that evening found that Enola had knocked over her cardboard barrier and took her baby outside. I was thrilled Enola and Mira were out with the rest of the flock and doing great! They were out there for roughly a few days and then Mira must have caught herself on the chicken wire that I had used to block off under the coop cutting all around her neck. I found her huddled in the big dust bath and soon took her inside and started treating her wound. A huge thank you to @SmiYa0126 @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive and @azygous who helped me care for her wound. Mira soon bonded with me answering me when I talked to her and stepping on my hand to come out she love cuddling! Then I went away on a trip with my family and came home to next day to find her not doing well. The next day was spent holding her and trying to get her to eat and drink. She passed sometime that night cuddled up with her stuffy. Mira was a little Miracle and she will be missed!
IMG_7984.jpeg
IMG_7919.jpeg
IMG_7756.jpeg
IMG_7681.jpeg
IMG_7679.jpeg
IMG_7673.jpeg
IMG_7668.jpeg
IMG_8147.jpeg
IMG_8009.jpeg
IMG_8008.jpeg
IMG_7979.jpeg

What wonderful story!! I'm so sorry for your losses! :hugs :hugs