Meet my new hens

Thanks for tagging me! Good-looking ladies!

Don't know for sure if Sapphire is an EE; I have a hard time telling because they can look so differently from one another. However, I've raised two Salmon Favs since they were day-old chicks, and I adore them.

I am a big fan of feather-footed birds, and I love the way Camille and Celeste look when they run; they have a rolling gait that is almost comical as their fluffy feet cross the ground.

Also, they like to talk -- A LOT! I've often joked that because they are French girls, it's likely they are complaining in French at every imagined slight. Did one of the other hens get more feed? Camille and Celeste will yell. Is someone else in the ONE nest box that they want (among all the available boxes)? More yelling. Am I just a bit too late with dinner? You know what they do.

They will hang out with other hens, but like each other's company the best. They are fairly friendly and will do submissive squats if I need to move them. But, they would prefer I just keep my hands to myself and let them retain their dignity.

Best wishes with all three of the new additions!

I hatched some ducklings and guinea hens and traded them yesterday for 3 new hens, shown below. If anyone knows anything about any of the breeds I would love to hear about it since these are all new breeds for me. These birds will also possibly be show birds for me so if anyone knows breed standard I would appreciate the information.
View attachment 3901433
Onyx (4 month old dark brahma)
View attachment 3901434
Phoenix (4 month old salmon favorolle)
View attachment 3901439
Sapphire (5 month old previous owner bought her from tractor supply as a EE. I don't think she is)
They're gorgeous!! We have a Dark Brahma and she's a beautiful bird, but doesn't lay very often. Very vocal as well lol. They're prone to broodiness (or at least mine is)

One of my friends had Salmon Favs and they were very sweet- not the smartest tools in the shed though lol. Also, when crossed with silkies, the babies are gorgeous!

The last one looks to be a cream legbar 🤔 She has the little 80s hair do like my Martha lol

Last edited:
Thanks for tagging me! Good-looking ladies!

Don't know for sure if Sapphire is an EE; I have a hard time telling because they can look so differently from one another. However, I've raised two Salmon Favs since they were day-old chicks, and I adore them.

I am a big fan of feather-footed birds, and I love the way Camille and Celeste look when they run; they have a rolling gait that is almost comical as their fluffy feet cross the ground.

Also, they like to talk -- A LOT! I've often joked that because they are French girls, it's likely they are complaining in French at every imagined slight. Did one of the other hens get more feed? Camille and Celeste will yell. Is someone else in the ONE nest box that they want (among all the available boxes)? More yelling. Am I just a bit too late with dinner? You know what they do.

They will hang out with other hens, but like each other's company the best. They are fairly friendly and will do submissive squats if I need to move them. But, they would prefer I just keep my hands to myself and let them retain their dignity.

Best wishes with all three of the new additions!
Thanks for the information. I've never owned feather footed breeds so of you have anything you think I should know.

They're gorgeous!! We have a Dark Brahma and she's a beautiful bird, but doesn't lay very often. Very vocal as well lol. They're prone to broodiness (or at least mine is)

One of my friends had Salmon Favs and they were very sweet- not the smartest tools in the shed though lol. Also, when crossed with silkies, the babies are gorgeous!

The last one looks to be a cream legbar 🤔 She has the little 80s hair do like my Martha lol
I have a purebred cream legbar so she's definitely not one but maybe a cream legbar mix

The only downside, in my mind, to feather-footed breeds is that you want to keep an eye on mud and/or snow getting caked up on their feet.

In addition to the Favs, I also have or have had Cochins, Bantam Cochins and Midnight Majesty Marans with feathered feet. Last year, I lost a Marans whose feet got wet and developed frostbite. I actually nursed her through losing several toes, but she later died of an unrelated illness.

The only downside, in my mind, to feather-footed breeds is that you want to keep an eye on mud and/or snow getting caked up on their feet.

In addition to the Favs, I also have or have had Cochins, Bantam Cochins and Midnight Majesty Marans with feathered feet. Last year, I lost a Marans whose feet got wet and developed frostbite. I actually nursed her through losing several toes, but she later died of an unrelated illness.
Good to know thanks

So sorry to hear. 😢

We'd have similar weather to you. We heat our coop to 40F, so when they've been outside (only if it's above 20F and windchill is above zero) they get thawed and dried out pretty fast. Yeah, they're spoiled. Part of the heating is so their 5-gallon nipple bucket won't freeze so homey doesn't have to haul water.

1-6-24 adventure.jpg

I carry buckets of water out to our barn everyday luckily it's not far from the house we also give the birds sweeter heaters in the coops during winter. Will they need fans in the summer?

Back
Top Bottom