• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ChickensREasy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 2, 2014
Northern California
I have googled many chicken questions in the last few months since I became a chicken owner and almost all my best answers came from here so I decided it was time I join
tongue.png

I have three barred rocks that I rescued as pullets, I think they were hatched around Easter. They began laying at around 32 weeks or older, I searched many times to see if it should have taken so long but at long last they are all 3 laying an egg a day about 6 days a week now. We never even had any of the usual deformed first eggs that I have read so much about.

They are free range daytime and I have not clipped any feathers. They love their outside time so much that even though they can't see me from inside their coop they call loudly to me when the horses see me and whinny for breakfast. I have only supplied scratch in addition to free range but so far so good.

My question today is about the rain, at first I locked them inside when in rained but they got mad so I relented and have given them free access during rain for the past several days. They do not go under shelter all day that I have seen. Will they be OK?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Barred Rocks generally start laying at 20 weeks. If they began laying much later, it is possible the trauma of being moved pushed back their first eggs. Going to a new home stresses chickens out and they can stop laying for up to a month after being moved. Lots of other reasons they may have waited so long to lay. But as long as they are laying well, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes, it is ok if they want to go out in the rain. Some birds hate the rain and others don't seem to mind. It won't hurt them a bit. So let them decide if they wish to venture out or head back inside. Just make sure they can access shelter when it is raining if they feel the need.

Enjoy your BR's and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! I got a laugh out of your post title, "Membership was inevitable".

Our chickens have a large run connected to their coop and even though they could go inside when it rains, mostly they stand around out in the wet. Wind bothers them way more than rain.

Nice to have you join us! I'm assuming your avatar is one of your horses? Beautiful.

TwoCrows, That makes a lot of sense since they were found in a abandoned in a city park. One had a dog bite. It wasn't until rescuer was sure of their health that she sold them to me and I brought them to my ranchette. Thanks.

NorthFLChick, thanks for the info, I am glad my title gave a smile. And yes, my avatar is my riding gelding
love.gif

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) You should consider supplying some layer crumbles instead of scratch to supplement their free range diet as scratch will not adequately meet their dietary needs. Also, I would suggest supplying them with a pan of crushed oyster shells to ensure that they get enough calcium in their diet for good egg shell development. As far as the rain goes, unless it's an extremely cold and windy day, your chickens should be fine in it. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Michael OShey, the girl at the feed store said the same thing and I had started to wonder if their diet was why they weren't laying.

Since they're doing so well now including good eggs with strong shells I have been wondering if the additional expense is necessary. It is obvious to me that scratch alone would never be sufficient but what about all the bugs and greens they have access too, could that be enough? I also have wondered if all the additives in layer feed make the eggs as healthy/natural as "wild" sources?

Just to be clear, I definitely believe in feeding the best pet food possible and the chickens are included so I will do what is necessary. My dogs (2 big 1 small) and 2 cats are on premium high dollar food plus horse hay, all making my animal feed bill rather distressing.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Michael OShey, the girl at the feed store said the same thing and I had started to wonder if their diet was why they weren't laying.

Since they're doing so well now including good eggs with strong shells I have been wondering if the additional expense is necessary. It is obvious to me that scratch alone would never be sufficient but what about all the bugs and greens they have access too, could that be enough? I also have wondered if all the additives in layer feed make the eggs as healthy/natural as "wild" sources?
It's unlikely that bugs and greens alone will be able to supply all the nutritional needs that good laying dual purpose birds like Barred Rocks will need. Eventually at some point (it may take a while before it becomes noticeable), their health will begin to decline. As far as the additives in layer feed, you can always buy organic layer feed. It will be somewhat more expensive than regular layer feed, but since you are only going to be using it to supplement their free range diet, the price difference in the long run should not be much more.

Back
Top Bottom