Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I'm super behind on the thread. Have been sad lately and not up to reading much.

I have my first sick hen. I posted over in the illness forum, so hopefully someone can help me out. So far I'm being told it can be anything from mites/lice to worms to sour crop. Ugh. I'm not ready to lose another animal so quickly.

Quote: hi. boy you said a mouthful there...been a farmer's daughter and now a farmer's wife. It's a hard and tiring life but oh so worth it. We have 13 head of beef cattle, 6 pigs, and now 12 chickens and 2 ducks. There is so much to learn about these feathery babies.
jumpy.gif
I always had a big garden and canned most everything but now due to serious health problems the garden had to go. I sure do miss it. I am in the upper peninsula of MI. Glad I found this nice group of Michiganders.

Craigslist add - chicken coop - would be a great starter coop or quaratine coop.. price not too bad. http://annarbor.craigslist.org/grd/4492949118.html
awesome structure, could be modified easy into a coop - free - http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/zip/4490804989.html
another starter structure- http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/zip/4466354256.html

In addition to this... free shed in GR (Kentwood). Needs some work, replace some boards, shingles, paint... but FREE... http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/zip/4486976156.html

Last edited:
Little crooked toes all better! And looks promising for a girl (Wheaten Maran).
Great work!! Did she fight it or was she easy-going once she got used to it?
AMEN! Is it Friday yet?
Anyone interested in some Silver Lackenvelders about 5 weeks old? They are nice looking birds I ordered from Dwayne Urch out of Minnesota. They sent me six which is a few too many,. I kept one cockerel and a pullet so the other 4 need a new home. 2 appear to be cockerels and one pullet and the other I'm not sure. I'll have a few other birds from the same breeder I'll need to thin out as well once I decide which ones I want to keep. There will be some Columbian Wyandotte and Standard Partridge Cochins. Pick up only in Allegan MI. $10 each. Send me a PM
I PMed you! :) -- Anyone know what's up with my green beans? It's my first year gardening here and the pH level was normal. Could I be overwatering?
-- Finishing up an enclosure for the girls today. I thought the run would be good enough, but they are getting big so fast and the coop is hard to move everyday. Can't wait to show y'all!

Last edited:
Anyone know what's up with my green peppers? It's my first year gardening here and the pH level was normal. Could I be overwatering?

Water at ground level, avoid using a sprinkler. Don't over water.
Soil should be slightly damp, water in the morning so excess water can evaporate during the day.

Well, I came home from work early and my hen had passed. Still dont know what was wrong with her. I"m not sure she woudl have died that quickly from a sour crop, so it must have been something else. I feel awful. Any disposal tips? Shoudl we bury her? Thanks.

Tori, I know some people take exception to my seemingly callus attitude that "hey, it's just a chicken", but the sad reality is that oft times in spite of our best efforts you will lose a bird. If you have been providing adequate food, water, and shelter there is nothing for you to blame yourself about. Spend a moment or two giving silent respect to the creatures demise and then focus of the living.

Tori, I know some people take exception to my seemingly callus attitude that "hey, it's just a chicken", but the sad reality is that oft times in spite of our best efforts you will lose a bird. If you have been providing adequate food, water, and shelter there is nothing for you to blame yourself about. Spend a moment or two giving silent respect to the creatures demise and then focus of the living.
Thanks Opa. It's not nearly as hard as losing Dash was, that's for sure. I was just surprised. I knew she was sick and had her separated but I didnt expect her to go this fast. I'm just not sure what to do with her now. Pretty sure you arent suppose to put animals in the trash and tbh, I dont know how I feel about burying a chicken since I'm not particularly attached to them.

Back
Top Bottom