Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Are those sandhill cranes?

Very cool frameworks!

I saw a couple little bucks in my small back field this last week, rarely see bucks in field-they seem to stay in the woods.
Saw a little 4 pointer mingling with the young does out by the fire pit. ...and another *4* pointer a few days ago but he had lost one of his horns.
Had a velveted 6 point a month or two ago, he was very jittery and didn't stay long, come right up to the chicken run to not for long.
Must be the big boys are pushing the littles out of the woods?
Yes, sand hill cranes!

Pushing out or beating up on them!!

I gave up finding the kind of coffee table I wanted so I started making my own and in the size we want. I like the industrial combined with raw wood look, so I picked up some galvanized pipe (black iron was more $$).. and I put together a frame... My DF has a bunch of rough cut walnut and oak slabs 2" thick he's giving to me to make the table. I should be able to make a few end tables as well. I have about 150$ in pipe parts. I may add another brace in the center.. as I wasn't expecting to get something that heavy at first for the top and shelf underneath... but can't pass it up!
That's going to look amazing!!! Walnut is my wood of choice for decorating in our home. You're an artist in many areas then!

Awesome!
I know I've been very fortunate that the 3 boys I've needed to re-home have been adopted by loving families within hours of posting here, too.
Just out of curiousity, are you trying to re-home Red cuz you can't have boys, don't want boys or already have a boy (s)??
If you free range, I strong suggest you keep one ....
im nearly in the city. and with my neighbors so close I cant keep a roo. we dont free range very often with them because the local kids are ... less then friendly lets say. but when we do one of us is normally out there with them. but i just need to find my poor red a good home before the neighbors start calling in noise complaints

im nearly in the city. and with my neighbors so close I cant keep a roo. we dont free range very often with them because the local kids are ... less then friendly lets say. but when we do one of us is normally out there with them. but i just need to find my poor red a good home before the neighbors start calling in noise complaints

Ah, I see. I sure hope he gets adopted soon
1f60a.png

@SillyChicken
I cannot EVEN imagine what a field full have Sandhills sounds like. We have a pair here and they are LOUD! We call them pterodactyls!!!

luckily they were fairly quiet. I couldn't imagine how loud that would be if they all fired up! Maybe they're conserving energy... I think they are all coming in ahead of the polar vortex! LOL!

It's gonna get cold tonight and stay that way for a while, supposed to get snow down in the SL tonight and through the next few days off and on. I doubt it will stick yet, but this will surly help with deer season opener, keep the deer moving and me freezing!

Brennegan... I have a BFA, my area of study was metalsmithing (blacksmithing) and sculpture.... plus a work background in construction and masonry... jack of all trades! I even was accepted at Cranbrook Art Academy for my masters 2 yr program.. and only got one year in...... I couldn't afford to continue. (one of my life regrets). If I had the equipment and money, I would forge something cool... but alas I have pipe fittings. ;)

There are a few weak areas on that design, So I'm going to weld the bottom side of the fittings so they can't move. Should strengthen it up enough.

Last edited:
I gave up finding the kind of coffee table I wanted so I started making my own and in the size we want. I like the industrial combined with raw wood look, so I picked up some galvanized pipe (black iron was more $$).. and I put together a frame...

My DF has a bunch of rough cut walnut and oak slabs 2" thick he's giving to me to make the table. I should be able to make a few end tables as well. I have about 150$ in pipe parts. I may add another brace in the center.. as I wasn't expecting to get something that heavy at first for the top and shelf underneath... but can't pass it up!
Ooh, I want one.I can't wait to see the finished result.
big_smile.png
I have been re-purposing dressers and old tables into new things for years. They just don't make em like they used to. Too matchey-matchey for me. I like rustic.
Oh hey, you can always paint the pipes black too.

guess I should read all the comments before I add a comment. don't feel so bad about that # of sand hills, although it would be cool to see, I thought you had all the deer in the state next door to you, REALLY need to get my glasses fixed
gig.gif

So our buff orpington cockerel is over 8 mths old.  I sure hope he starts to figure out his job & has it sufficiently in effect by early spring.  So far... no interest whatsoever, not a single fertile egg yet.  I'd like to hatch some eggs again.  Not that I was planning on hatching right now, I'm just impatient to see some progress in my plans.  He doesn't even seem interested!  I think he likes being "one of the girls".  He doesn't even crow!  Ya, I know... quietest rooster I've ever had.  :/  I'm sure he'll get around to it when he's ready.  He needs to mature more.  But but but... I didn't get to hatch this last spring since our brahma rooster passed last winter. I've got the itch & I'm looking forward to hatching again!  Hmm... he needs to "do his job" to pay rent.  That just sounds wrong on so many levels.  I'm glad y'all are chicken folk too & won't take it the wrong way.  Sheesh.  Usually I'm having the "pay your rent" talk with the hens.  I don't think I've ever needed to have that talk with the boys before (usually they're overly enthused about their job & willing to work for free... even volunteer to put in overtime. lol).  Yes, I know I have the whole flipping winter to wait yet until I should even be thinking about firing up the incubator.  I just hope it's not as long of a winter as last year. 

A crow... just some crowing in the morning & it would make me feel better buddy.  Get on it. 

There isn't a shortage of roosters around.  They're a dime a dozen & if I need to I will go to "chicken manpower" (BYC peeps) & get pick up a more than willing intern.  :) 

If you need buff orpington eggs in the spring, let me know. I just sent some to camp yesterday and today, but I kept a few roosters for fertiles this spring. Just PM me, and I'll give them to you.
When I was looking for some fertiles last spring, they were rather expensive even for mutts...

Back
Top Bottom