Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

So I applied to get scrapie tags for my sheep/goats, and now I got a survey from the usda who's doing a search on farming operations. Call me paranoid, but I would be concerned if they would use the information to fish for taxes. I am not sure how to answer this thing.
I doubt that it is an attempt to fish for taxes. But there is no good reason to let yet another bureaucratic entity know what you do at your homestead. Like I found out trying to get USDA grants; the risks, intrusion, paperwork and red tape are not worth the effort you put in.

looking for Cochins bantams and Silkies in Michigan!! If you have any for sale or if you know someone with them please message me.
Thanks SILLYCOCHINS

I don't have any, but I would like to say
welcome-byc.gif

one more case of what they don't know won't hurt them, just don't get caught!! the only mistake made is the one they catch you at.

I am afraid to put the bones in my garden, the dogs have good noses and will dig them up

Sillycochins, Michelle, in Brown City has beautiful silkies. Don't know if she still has cochins, but you can go to her web site and take a look. starbrightfarm.net.

So I applied to get scrapie tags for my sheep/goats, and now I got a survey from the usda who's doing a search on farming operations. Call me paranoid, but I would be concerned if they would use the information to fish for taxes. I am not sure how to answer this thing.

That is a main reason all my animals are registered. I don't need to scrapie tag them if they are registered with the AGS or ADGA. Obviously they must have their unique tattoo in place, and have to travel with papers. But means less government getting up in my business.

Also, if you hate tags, MDARD allows you to tattoo them with their unique scrapie number. If I had to keep scrapie program goats, I'd do this. Getting ears ripped by tags is not my idea of fun.

Don't
I get one every year and generally ignore it. I figure if they aren't giving me money, I don't have to give them information.
Did you see this? http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/02/18/sausage-products-recall-michigan/23603977/

Funny how our fine bureaucrats at MDARD failed to mention this. Right on the heels of the contaminated feed that was fed to hogs on the west side of the state. Could it have anything to do with one of the commissioners serving on the Michigan Pork Producers board?
Fine upstanding people, the MDARD.

looking for Cochins bantams and Silkies in Michigan!! If you have any for sale or if you know someone with them please message me.
Thanks SILLYCOCHINS

I got both.
I sell eggs and chicks.
Located in Lapeer.

And yep Michelle at star bright still has cochins too. She will probably firing up her bator soon as well.
Silkies might not be selling to many due to hatching for her sons show birds this yr. But ya need to ask.

Seconding that you need more than one goat. They're herd animals, and it is not good for their health and stress levels to be kept alone. A two does or a doe and a wether make a great pair for a beginner. Chickens won't count as part of the herd, it has to be a like herd animal. Though sheep have different mineral needs than goats, so mixing the two is not as easy as one would think.

Plus, how do you keep the goats from snarfing any chicken feed? It isn't good for them. You also need to make sure you'd serve the goats hay in a way that keeps it from getting pooped on by chickens. Once hay hits the ground or is soiled, goats won't touch it.

Yeah, that stinks. I've had good luck with my ducks over the years. One hen got attacked and I almost lost her. I had a possum eating their eggs right in the house. I removed him (permanently). The only defense they have is getting closed in at night. As for a goat - one won't do, you'd need at least two for the herd factor or the one will do everything it can to escape. I'm not sure it would deter a coon though. Those things are nasty, nasty, nasty. They will walk right past a goat and steal a bird. The best, and only, deterrent I know of is closing them up at dark and letting them out in the AM.

With my luck Goat Math would work out just like Chicken Math. And Duck Math . . .
I keep the Muscovy ducks separate from the chickens (and I keep the females wings clipped). I would have to figure out a way to keep them out of the duck feed unless I switched them all to fodder for the winter. I ferment the duck feed and the chicken feed currently but that would still be an issue, I'm sure.
My other option would be to move the duck enclosure and huts into the middle of the horse/mule pasture. Both are extremely diligent about chasing anything away that doesn't belong. My Paso will chew on just about anything (including fencing) though. Doesn't matter if it's metal or not . . . And both wouldn't hesitate to rub against it. They've destroyed almost every tree in the pasture so far - even the one pine. The guilty party has Pine Sol breath constantly. I would have to have electric fence protecting the duck enclosure from the horse and mule protecting them. Sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom