Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Finally had a day off yesterday. It was a busy day for sure. One of my tree trimmer friends showed up with more tree mulch. He had dropped a couple of loads while I was working. Today I had a chance to chat with him. He said he was cutting oak, maple and pine not too far from here. So I mentioned that I was behind on my wood pile for winter. A couple hours later he drops off a load of logs. Hot damn!:celebrate

Started cutting and splitting. Splitter is acting up. Could be plugged fuel line or fouled plug. I'll have to work on that after work today. Thursdays are always long days with 2 trucks to unload. I'm sure to he hurting this day.

w6.jpg
w5.jpg
w3.jpg

Adding to my busy day off was assembling the new gas grill I picked up from work. Close out sale. I scored a $200 Char Broil for $51 tax included. Couldn't pass up that deal. Just means no beer this week.

The other thing I scored was free steel shelving from work. Three pallets of still-in-the-box 4 foot wide shelves. No uprights for them but I have a plan to use them in the garage. Wood carcass with the shelf mounted on top for a work surface.

After messing with the pallets, wood, and splitter not working, I started moving the pile of trimmings. The pile was sprawled across a wide area. Spent most of the evening moving it to a better spot for winter composting. Only managed to get about a 1/4 of it moved. The pine in it sure did smell nice. It is about a 50/50 mix of (brown) wood chips and (green) pine needles. It will be nice come spring.

w4.jpg
w2.jpg
w1.jpg

On the chicken front, the flock is starting to moult. Feathers all over the yard and egg production is down to just 3 per day. All of the birds are over 2-3 years old. Got me thinking that it might be time for some chicks for the spring egg season. Going to ponder on that for a while.

The ducks followed me while moving the compost pile. They were chasing grasshoppers that I stirred up. It was comical to watch them jumping after the grasshoppers. Their crops were so full by the time they were done.

Yeah, yesterday was a good day.

I don't know if Snowbird is molting more than any of the ladies, or if it just looks that way because his beautiful white feathers show up more against the dirt in the run.

I'm getting one or two eggs a day now. No frittatas in my future, that's for sure.

@RaZ, nice pile of chips and logs!

Evidently the tomato harvest is down? By 75% according to one place. I found some of poorer quality than I expected - at the third place I tried. By then, I took a bushel anyway.

Now, I need to decide what to do with them. I cut, peeled, and started simmering down all of them yesterday. I could just can them but does anyone have a good ketch up or salsa recipe?

Or, separately, a favorite jerky recipe?

I do tomatoes differently; I cut them in half or quarters, cook until really soft then run them through the victorio strainer, which removes the skins and seeds. Then the resulting pulp liquid is simmered down to the density i want, and canned, with added vinegar or lemon juice to make sure it's acid enough. no salt, no spices, and good to make anything later.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom