Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

LOL, parking lot is empty.......... i'm thinking....... no one's showing up to work today!

Last edited:
Nigellas, check your PMS!
Sorry but this just came out - wrong
gig.gif

Alright. I need someone to just tell me what to do. What to keep, and what to get rid of. I have 5 roos in their own coop for now, but I'll be needing that coop in April/May when we buy/hatch new chicks. I have a Lavender Orpington, 2 Splash Blue Wyandottes, an EE roo, and what appears to be a SFH or Speckled Sussex mix roo. I WAS going to try for olive eggers this year, but I lost my marans pullet. My cuckoo marans pullet doesn't really lay dark enough to get olive, but I might be able to get a nice green out of her, assuming that my peacombed EE roo actually CARRIES the blue shell gene.

Anyhow, I was going to play coop-shuffle during the day, and then put the desired roo back into the roo coop each night to get the crosses I wanted without having to go down to just one roo. I've now decided that will just be too much work for everything that we have going on. I'm getting some BLRW eggs shipped in the end of April, but was thinking of maybe trying to hatch some of my own first to get a few kinks out of my incubating issues. Ideally, I would like to get whichever roo I need to keep moved over to the big coop in the next 3 weeks so when we get back from vacation I can put eggs into the incubator immediately.

Here's my problem though....

I'd like to keep the EE roo so I can try for olive eggers this fall or next spring. I'd ALSO like to keep one of the wyandottes because he's a big beautiful boy. However, I don't think I have enough ladies to justify having 2 roos (14 pullets right now) without them getting over-bred.

So what should I do? They aren't quite big enough (IMO) to butcher, but that's my plan in the long run. There are a few places locally that will process them for us, but I don't know if they would be worth the expense given their size right now. I don't really know how but a cockerel should be tho I tried giving them away on CL, and that didn't work either. More coops isn't an option.

Help!!!!
barnie.gif

Alright. I need someone to just tell me what to do. What to keep, and what to get rid of. I have 5 roos in their own coop for now, but I'll be needing that coop in April/May when we buy/hatch new chicks. I have a Lavender Orpington, 2 Splash Blue Wyandottes, an EE roo, and what appears to be a SFH or Speckled Sussex mix roo. I WAS going to try for olive eggers this year, but I lost my marans pullet. My cuckoo marans pullet doesn't really lay dark enough to get olive, but I might be able to get a nice green out of her, assuming that my peacombed EE roo actually CARRIES the blue shell gene.

Anyhow, I was going to play coop-shuffle during the day, and then put the desired roo back into the roo coop each night to get the crosses I wanted without having to go down to just one roo. I've now decided that will just be too much work for everything that we have going on. I'm getting some BLRW eggs shipped in the end of April, but was thinking of maybe trying to hatch some of my own first to get a few kinks out of my incubating issues. Ideally, I would like to get whichever roo I need to keep moved over to the big coop in the next 3 weeks so when we get back from vacation I can put eggs into the incubator immediately.

Here's my problem though....

I'd like to keep the EE roo so I can try for olive eggers this fall or next spring. I'd ALSO like to keep one of the wyandottes because he's a big beautiful boy. However, I don't think I have enough ladies to justify having 2 roos (14 pullets right now) without them getting over-bred.

So what should I do? They aren't quite big enough (IMO) to butcher, but that's my plan in the long run. There are a few places locally that will process them for us, but I don't know if they would be worth the expense given their size right now. I don't really know how but a cockerel should be tho I tried giving them away on CL, and that didn't work either. More coops isn't an option.

Help!!!!
barnie.gif
I might be interested in the Lavender Orpington.

Had DH butcher my two Sussex roos yesterday. They were torturing every hen in the coop. No space to separate them except for outside in the run, and just too cold for that. They came out to about 3 lbs each, or so he said. Not bad I guess. Were pretty fellas, but not so nice in the overall dynamics.

Also thinking about getting rid of most (maybe all) of my black Araucanas. 6 or 7 of them to be exact. Mostly clean faced, all but one rumpless, about even numbers male and female. Hatched end of August, so almost 6 months old. Can do pairs or the group. Want to focus on the ones with color instead.

Back
Top Bottom