Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Love-love-love wood heat! Be sure to get the chimney inspected.

Do you have a source for your own wood on the property? And a way to cut and split it?

Hubby bought a new chainsaw last fall. The first one lasted 28 years, so it paid its dues. We also invested in a 40 ton wood splitter. It can handle anything hubby can cut and maneuver into position to split. It should outlive us.

Love-love-love wood heat! Be sure to get the chimney inspected.

Do you have a source for your own wood on the property? And a way to cut and split it?

Hubby bought a new chainsaw last fall. The first one lasted 28 years, so it paid its dues. We also invested in a 40 ton wood splitter. It can handle anything hubby can cut and maneuver into position to split. It should outlive us.
It has some trees on the property, but not full on woods like we have here.

The chainsaws we have are my dad's, so not totally sure he'd let us keep one. The wood splitter is his too.

If needs be, we'll have assistance bringing some of our stockpile that we have over here brought there.

Probably over 95% of the upper peninsula is chicken friendly. But it's cold, the winters are very long, and you would have to move quite a ways.

I have lived in and owned several elderly houses, unless you are very handy be prepared to spend money on some serious infrastructure repairs. The last house that I bought, built in 1886, needed a new roof and new electrical wiring. That was around $23,000 for everything.
And think very carefully about getting anything that needs work in the basement, that means foundation work and that can be very expensive.

Absolutely have it inspected before you make an offer. I was able to negotiate a better price because I knew what I was getting into.

I happen to be up at 1:00 a.m. and the sky was putting on a show. I'm not exactly sure how cameras see the Northern lights, to me they were much more green and curtain
IMG_20241008_010108584~2.jpg
-like, and fainter. I never noticed before, but I could actually see them rippling across the sky.

Never have actually seen the northern lights, only pictures.. beautiful!
Also about home inspections: don't assume that the inspector can see everything! Plan for worse than listed difficulties, because that's how things are likely to go. Especially framing, wiring, and plumbing, all behind the walls.
Mary

Last edited:
I saw the 1:00 am show, too! Down here in Watervliet. I have a Google Pixel 8 and use night setting. The camera picks up more color with the long exposure, while our eyes are not as sensitive to it. From there, I edit my photos just a smidge to add brightness and contrast. I was awed last night.

Attachments

• PXL_20241008_045731909.NIGHT~2.jpg
    PXL_20241008_045731909.NIGHT~2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20241008_045918794.NIGHT~2.jpg
    PXL_20241008_045918794.NIGHT~2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20241008_050539658.NIGHT~2.jpg
    PXL_20241008_050539658.NIGHT~2.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom