Mink Proofing - Can It Be Done?

Will Roos fight a mink to keep his flock safe?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pics

Nwygle93

Chirping
Feb 14, 2018
Ohio
Hello all,

We recently moved to a new home. I came out to find my three beautiful hens had been killed overnight. The property has a creek that runs through it and a large pond as well. I have been told now by neighbors that there is a huge mink infestation because they travel that creek. One of my neighbors even said he gave up keeping birds because he was tired of losing them (they even got his large ducks.) So, now I face the thought of never being able to have them again. Is there a way to mink proof my coop? My husband proposed laying a concrete pad and putting the coop on it, but I wish for them to have comfortable grass to walk and dig on. I have also been told that there is a bad coyote problem as well, so I need to consider a way to keep them out as well.
On a side note, I have not kept roosters for years. I don't much care for them...but I can't help but feel a little guilty. What if he could have kept my girls safe and fought off the mink? Is this possible?

I have my chicken run on a concrete pad and then encased in 1/2 inch mesh. I haven't had a single critter get in there other than a chipmunk that got in while the run gate was open.

I do believe it's possible to predator proof a coop and run but it takes some effort and trying to think like a predator looking for access.

If you succeed in proofing it, sounds like you will not be able to let them free range due to the coyote issue. I get that you want to let them have access to dirt and grass so possibly build a moveable day area that would keep the coyotes out. You could build a wire tube that the chickens could walk through to get the day area? Again, a lot more planning but it can be done.

Our coop is like Fort Knox, part of it is on concrete, the other part has a hardware cloth skirt that goes out 1 ft. Locks on doors and nest box doors. 1/2 inch hardware cloth, not chicken wire. We closely monitor chickens when they free range, only ever had one predator attack. Chickens free ranging in the morning, fox came and grabbed one. However it got scared off, thankfully without the chicken.

You can totally build a coop that keeps predator's out. I have a dirt floor coop. Did a concrete footing + cinder block walls. Wood structure on top of that. I have put a hardware cloth run around 3 sides and buried the wire about a foot. Lots of predators visit the coop but none have gotten in. I see all the foot prints.
coop.jpg

Firs, I'm so sorry to hear that you lost all of them in one night. When a mink or any of the others of the weasel family gain access, they will sometimes kill everything, even though they won't eat everything they kill. a weasel (or young mink) can squeeze through a quarter sized hole, so you must take care. if their head will fit through, so will the rest of their body. Pardon me...

Greetings and welcome to BYC! So glad you joined us, even if the reason for doing so is terrible. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

You CAN make a predator proof coop and run for your (future) birds. The thing is, it isn't "cheep" and will take forethought and effort. I know you want to give your birds freedom and you CAN make a big enough run that they can get time out in the open... Their open will just be enclosed. There's a coop section with thousands of pictures and ideas and as I said before, many threads dealing specifically with predators.

A coop built on a concrete slab would prevent anything accessing your birds when they are inside. For the run area, you'll need to use 1/2" hardware cloth (wire - don't use 1/4" as it's "thinner" gauge wire and easier to break through). It should reach up the sides at least 2' You'll also need to put a skirt down around the outside to prevent diggers from going under the walls.

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. Old folks like me will never remember from this thread. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

My husband made our coop, but it looks very similar to this one. The only major difference is that we bought a more heavy duty mesh with fingernail-sized spaces. It must have gotten banged up during our move. So, I think what happened is that it pried a very small loose piece of wood on the back wall on the ground, and moved through that.
We do have a run that they could be in during the day, I would much rather them be able to get the feeling of grass and sun
They say mink are hard to trap, and even harder to keep out because, if their head can go through something, so can they
s186942115210039336_p39_i1_w300.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom