Mites on new chicken? Help!!!

rileycassandra

In the Brooder
May 3, 2024
Hi friends! So I got this sweet new 8 week old bantam polish and I realized tonight she has mites. šŸ„² I made the mistake of putting her with my 4 week old regular chicks (the 8 week old regular sized I have picked on her.) I separated them now, but I have a few questions please help!!! Theyā€™re still in my house, the 4 weeks in a pop up tent and the polish now in a storage container. Iā€™ve checked the 4 weeks and didnā€™t see any mites even though they were together overnight last night, but Iā€™m gunna treat them all anyway.

1.) I was planning on treating with liquid Permethrinā€¦ but I have a cat. What the heck do I do??

2.) After I treat them all, can I put them all together again? I feel so bad having the polish be by herself. ā˜¹ļø

3.) Can the mites live on cats??

4.) Iā€™m so itchy. Iā€™ve read they canā€™t live on humans and I know itā€™s probably in my head, but please reassure me lol.

Any help is much appreciated. Iā€™m a first time chicken owner. Learning as I go!

My understanding is that once the liquid Permethrin is dry, it's safe for cats unless they licked where it had been sprayed, and cats don't just lick walls or floors.

And you're fine. Those mites don't like us, thank God.

I'd put your cat in a bedroom and spray everywhere they were and every chicken and the coop.

My understanding is that once the liquid Permethrin is dry, it's safe for cats unless they licked where it had been sprayed, and cats don't just lick walls or floors.

And you're fine. Those mites don't like us, thank God.

I'd put your cat in a bedroom and spray everywhere they were and every chicken and the coop.
Thank you. We ordered a small batch of elector psp and are going to try that. Luckily it seems the other two donā€™t have them.

Back
Top Bottom