Mixing 11 week and 3-4 week old chicks, how to do it safely?

DemeterAD9

Songster
Mar 21, 2024
New to chickens and so far everyone is doing well. Currently have 7 juveniles (5m 2f) @ ~11 weeks in the coop. 2 roosters are now crowing but so far everyone is getting along. I've got 4 chicks I hatched May 15 so they are about 4 weeks old, plus 3 I bought who look to be the same age, then I've got 14 chicks I bought who are around 3 weeks old. I'll be going on vacation at the end of the month for a week and need to make things easier for whoever is watching them while I'm away. Currently I've got 11 of the chicks who are the most feathered up in a 4x4 play pen in the coop with the 7 juveniles. They are not trying to eat them through the mesh and it's been almost 2 weeks. I've started locking the 7 out in the run and let the 11 run around in the coop during the day so they have plenty of space to run around. The other 10 chicks are still in the brooder inside but I plan to move them out by the weekend. One is a bantam who came with the Meyer "adopt me" assortment, so it's teeny tiny despite having most of its feathers coming in.

I want to get at least the 10 oldest/largest chicks integrated with the 7 juvies before I leave for vacation. Current plan is to let all the chicks out to freely mingle with the older birds and babysit them on my next day off. I've attempted to do this once already inside the coop, one roo let a chick peck at his beak but otherwise seemed unfazed. Another roo lunged at a chick and then I chased him out the coop. It is clear the smaller chicks are at greater risk so I'm playing it safe by keeping them separated for a couple more weeks.

Size difference is the biggest factor, the 11 week olds are nearing adult size. The 4 week olds are pretty much completely out of their fluffy phase and have proper feathers everywhere but their heads, they might be 1/4 the size of the older birds. Do they stand and chance at peacefully integrating with the juveniles? Should I not even consider doing this for another month? The only other option I have is to fence in the sheltered area of the run with chicken wire. It's about a 6X5X4 lean-to that used to be the bedding area for pigs we raised several years ago. With added branches and whatnot it would be plenty large enough to house the chicks till they are a bit bigger.

I'll add photos of the current setup later.

What has worked for me, is a safety zone, that the chicks can escape through and the big girls cannot follow. Food and water is in the safe zone too. I tend to add my chicks out about 4 weeks, but the rest of the birds are adults. So a big size difference.

But I have found this to work well. I will do a fence in area in the run, and then just lift the fence off the ground enough the chicks can run through it like water. I also just lay a pallet flat on the ground with one edge up off the ground on larger rocks. I have two of those out in the run. I have totes and mini walls in the run too, so birds can get out of sight.

Mrs K

I’ve been chaperoning their little meet and greets, letting the chicks come out of the coop if they want to. The handful of older more adventurous ones have come out and run into the lean-to. As expected, the older birds want to chase them and the white ones in particular are apparently easy targets. My little white roo chick has had some feathers pulled out twice now. I’m unsure when/if I should be intervening but the feather pulling ended up with me grabbing both offending older birds and holding them for a moment before letting them go. Now the one roo keeps his distance, the hen still wants to chase and another roo has been giving me the side eye and seems to be posturing at me a bit. I think he’ll be the first to go along with the other chick-attacking roo. They aren’t my first pick for possible keeper roos anyways.

So I’ve made a pull away fence door to close off the lean-to. The chicks that wanted out are in there scratching around. Debating on affixing the fencing to be just a few inches off the ground to allow only the chicks to get inside as suggested. Been busy working and worrying about coons (caught two this week) to really work with the birds. Plus it’s been hot.

Got creative and made a chick friendly divider with stick to block off half the lean-to. All the chicks have been out and about. Most have figured out the safe zone but I'll probably have to modify it as the older birds are testing the gaps. I'll need to add some horizontal sticks but then they'll try to perch on them and risk knocking it all down. Just needs to work till they are more civil with each other.
20240620_133638.jpg
20240620_133600.jpg
20240620_133541.jpg
20240620_133514.jpg

Day 3 and things are settling down. I still herd the chicks into their playpen for bed time but other than that it’s been a breeze.

Chicks are now able to run around the older birds without be chased too much. They are still learning to avoid them so some are getting pecked if they get too close. Working on making them tame and that means lots of small treats. They got some boiled wood chuck and ran around playing keep away.

Now the current problem is one of the older roos. Something must of flipped when I let the chicks out. He pecked me twice and broke skin yesterday, I smacked him with a bucket full of sand/grit the second time. I also noticed him bothering my bigger hen more often. He will definitely be the first to go, I’d do it now but at 12 weeks he’s all feathers and bones. Luckily my favorite roo is still happy to jump in my lap for pets.

Also noticed a few bumble bees flying around in the middle of the pen. Pretty sure they have a nest in the ground. I plan to leave them alone unless I or the birds start getting stung.

I just love the safety zone, and letting them work it out on their terms.
The safety zone has been great for sure! Now the older birds don’t chase them very far at all and the chicks are scratching around all over the run. One particularly sweet chick hopped on my lap with the friendly roo and he didn't even try to peck it.

Half the chicks made it into the coop on their own last night, we’ll see what they do tonight. I’d like to not have to lock the chicks up separately as it’s a pain so I may end up adding a similar safety zone in one corner of the coop.

If you have a couple of the chicks making it into the coop, the others will follow soon. My full grown birds roost 4-5 feet above the floor. I have been know to put a saw horse in there, and had them roost on that. And I have had to block of the nests, so they don't roost in those and make such a mess.

But really once they are in the flock, it is over.

Mrs K

New to chickens and so far everyone is doing well. Currently have 7 juveniles (5m 2f) @ ~11 weeks in the coop. 2 roosters are now crowing but so far everyone is getting along. I've got 4 chicks I hatched May 15 so they are about 4 weeks old, plus 3 I bought who look to be the same age, then I've got 14 chicks I bought who are around 3 weeks old. I'll be going on vacation at the end of the month for a week and need to make things easier for whoever is watching them while I'm away. Currently I've got 11 of the chicks who are the most feathered up in a 4x4 play pen in the coop with the 7 juveniles. They are not trying to eat them through the mesh and it's been almost 2 weeks. I've started locking the 7 out in the run and let the 11 run around in the coop during the day so they have plenty of space to run around. The other 10 chicks are still in the brooder inside but I plan to move them out by the weekend. One is a bantam who came with the Meyer "adopt me" assortment, so it's teeny tiny despite having most of its feathers coming in.

I want to get at least the 10 oldest/largest chicks integrated with the 7 juvies before I leave for vacation. Current plan is to let all the chicks out to freely mingle with the older birds and babysit them on my next day off. I've attempted to do this once already inside the coop, one roo let a chick peck at his beak but otherwise seemed unfazed. Another roo lunged at a chick and then I chased him out the coop. It is clear the smaller chicks are at greater risk so I'm playing it safe by keeping them separated for a couple more weeks.

Size difference is the biggest factor, the 11 week olds are nearing adult size. The 4 week olds are pretty much completely out of their fluffy phase and have proper feathers everywhere but their heads, they might be 1/4 the size of the older birds. Do they stand and chance at peacefully integrating with the juveniles? Should I not even consider doing this for another month? The only other option I have is to fence in the sheltered area of the run with chicken wire. It's about a 6X5X4 lean-to that used to be the bedding area for pigs we raised several years ago. With added branches and whatnot it would be plenty large enough to house the chicks till they are a bit bigger.

I'll add photos of the current setup later.
Hello The small chickens will suffer beat up and hunger unless you address those conditions. Size makes a difference of aggressive or friendship. Little does not match with big or chicken safety.

Hello The small chickens will suffer beat up and hunger unless you address those conditions. Size makes a difference of aggressive or friendship. Little does not match with big or chicken safety.
If you read the rest of the posts, you will see that the OP addressed chick safety with a pretty innovative set up of panic openings.

Back
Top Bottom