Mixing 11 week and 3-4 week old chicks, how to do it safely?

They all went to bed on their own the other night, last night I had to grab 5 chicks and toss them inside. No more separating at night time either.

The sticks had to fixed, someone broke through by force. I suspect something spooked the birds as they use the lean-to for quick cover (I tested them a couple before times with an alarm call and that's where they ran to).

No harm done, it was ruined last night and I didn't fix it till now. When I went out there everyone was resting inside it. Wish I got a picture but they always come running when they hear the gate open.
20240625_114359.jpg

20240625_114321.jpg

They get big so fast but I love watching them interact. I'm surprised the little bantam hasn't had any issues. It's a smart little thing that must know to stay out of the way. You can see it in the upper right corner.
20240625_114404.jpg

If you read the rest of the posts, you will see that the OP addressed chick safety with a pretty innovative set up of panic openings.
Hello If you have seen big chickens with little chickens you might notice the big chickens do not give warning much of the time, they just act calm until close enough to bite on and pounce and peck and pull. The babies will panic for sure, but many times it will be too late.

Hello If you have seen big chickens with little chickens you might notice the big chickens do not give warning much of the time, they just act calm until close enough to bite on and pounce and peck and pull. The babies will panic for sure, but many times it will be too late.
I am fully aware of how adult chickens act but if you set up properly you can minimize risks. I start letting my chicks out with the adult flock as early as 10 days old, when they're small enough that older birds don't see them as a threat, and fast enough to use their small size to their advantage. I offer up plenty of clutter and space for safety and have never had a chick noticeably injured by an adult. A few warning pecks won't harm the babies as long as they have somewhere to escape to - which is what OP set up here in the lean to.

I am fully aware of how adult chickens act but if you set up properly you can minimize risks. I start letting my chicks out with the adult flock as early as 10 days old, when they're small enough that older birds don't see them as a threat, and fast enough to use their small size to their advantage. I offer up plenty of clutter and space for safety and have never had a chick noticeably injured by an adult. A few warning pecks won't harm the babies as long as they have somewhere to escape to - which is what OP set up here in the lean to.
Hello All accidents can be prevented. I will choose not to "minimize" my baby chickens risks. I think I prefer to eliminate risk to their lives. I choose to not willfully put them into situations where they might die. When it comes to baby chickens life I will not take a chance with full grown chickens without a mother chicken that hatched them.

Hello All accidents can be prevented. I will choose not to "minimize" my baby chickens risks. I think I prefer to eliminate risk to their lives.
Do what works for you. I have not lost a single chick brooded outside and have not had any issue with coccidiosis either. I had both coccidiosis and a loss with chicks brooded inside. There's no way to eliminate all risk no matter how many precautions you take.

Hello All accidents can be prevented. I will choose not to "minimize" my baby chickens risks. I think I prefer to eliminate risk to their lives. I choose to not willfully put them into situations where they might die. When it comes to baby chickens life I will not take a chance with full grown chickens without a mother chicken that hatched them.
You do you, the 7 older birds of mine are not fully grown, my chicks are fully feathered, and they’ve all been pretty civil other than the the first day or two. Chickens can suddenly turn on another at any time and cause harm, be it chick or adult.

It's been a week since physical introduction (3-4 weeks since visual/no touch) and 3 nights of them sleeping together in the coop. I would like to say everything is good but now I’ll be watching and waiting for the young males to develop. Looks to be 4-5 among the chicks, plus the 5 older birds. There will be some tough decisions to make before winter.

You do you, the 7 older birds of mine are not fully grown, my chicks are fully feathered, and they’ve all been pretty civil other than the the first day or two. Chickens can suddenly turn on another at any time and cause harm, be it chick or adult.

It's been a week since physical introduction (3-4 weeks since visual/no touch) and 3 nights of them sleeping together in the coop. I would like to say everything is good but now I’ll be watching and waiting for the young males to develop. Looks to be 4-5 among the chicks, plus the 5 older birds. There will be some tough decisions to make before winter.
Hello I am happy your chickens aren't hurting each other.

I will choose not to "minimize" my baby chickens risks. I think I prefer to eliminate risk to their lives.
Often times, people keep chicks in way too small of area, and inside a house way too long with the best intentions of keeping the chicks safe. I am not saying that you do that, but a lot of people are rather scared to let them out.

What a lot of us have found, is that chicks outside are healthier, get more exercise because they have more space, and sunlight. Several years ago, I started getting my chicks outside much earlier, within days of being hatched, long before they feathered out, because that is what I saw my broody hens doing.

I also realized, that chicks under a broody hen were not kept at a constant warm temperature, but rather, ran all over, played and explored and then went back to Mamma for a warm up. Even in -20 degree weather.

Mama basically was a safe place, and a shelter from the weather. I have a lot of clutter in my run, that chicks can escape to, and I set up a safety zone.

I too, get them out into the flock at 3-4 weeks, and have never lost a chick. Within a week, they are eating between the legs of a layer. If she growls at them, they get out of her reach. Generally, a chick in a large space is hard to catch.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom