MJ's little flock

don't beat yourself up; what you were trying to do is difficult in the dark, and the more precious things are, the more we tend to fumble. But going forward, I would regard the remaining welsummer egg as a long shot and prepare yourself for more disappointment there. Then if it does make it to hatch, you can really rejoice and celebrate!

don't beat yourself up; what you were trying to do is difficult in the dark, and the more precious things are, the more we tend to fumble. But going forward, I would regard the remaining welsummer egg as a long shot and prepare yourself for more disappointment there. Then if it does make it to hatch, you can really rejoice and celebrate!
I regard any hatching at all as a long shot! This is the third hatch attempt with so far no chicks out of shells.

I will be over the moon if even one chick is hatched!

Should I clean the eggs tomorrow in plain warm water?
I wouldn't unless you're sure any is coated with albumen; and then I'd wipe gently rather than immerse. The bloom has evolved to protect the contents; the real risk now is that the embryo suffocates if the shell is coated with egg and it dries forming an air tight cover over a large portion of the surface.

I wouldn't unless you're sure any is coated with albumen; and then I'd wipe gently rather than immerse. The bloom has evolved to protect the contents; the real risk now is that the embryo suffocates if the shell is coated with egg and it dries forming an air tight cover over a large portion of the surface.
I'll take a closer look in the full light of day once Mary's off the nest and cleaning things handy in case they're needed.

Just caught up. So sorry MJ. But as @Perris says, don’t beat yourself up.
:hugs

I am thinking that in real life eggs must break in nests all the time. I can’t help feeling the other eggs will do fine without washing. Of course in real life many eggs don’t do fine, but I can’t see washing them being an improvement.

Just caught up. So sorry MJ. But as @Perris says, don’t beat yourself up.
:hugs

I am thinking that in real life eggs must break in nests all the time. I can’t help feeling the other eggs will do fine without washing. Of course in real life many eggs don’t do fine, but I can’t see washing them being an improvement.
I'll see how bad they are tomorrow before deciding. If they're only a little dirty with yolk or albumen, I'll leave them be. But if an egg is more than half covered, I'll give it a gentle wipe with warm water and mark it with texta.

I also think the shells were likely a bit fragile. Some of my hen's eggs would break in that situation and others would withstand that.

You did a good job. I'm sure on my own and with the stress, I would not have done as well.

I don't have any experience of that kind of issue. I looked on french forums and found three posts where people were told not to wash the eggs in that situation. In the end some of the eggs still hatched, and overall they did not feel having one broken egg and yolk spread had made a clear difference to the outcome.

I do know that one possible risk is the chick having health issue if bacteria permeates the shell (omphalitis). But normally, shells are supposed to be bacteria proof, and it seems washing will just make it more risky.

I also think the shells were likely a bit fragile. Some of my hen's eggs would break in that situation and others would withstand that.

You did a good job. I'm sure on my own and with the stress, I would not have done as well.

I don't have any experience of that kind of issue. I looked on french forums and found three posts where people were told not to wash the eggs in that situation. In the end some of the eggs still hatched, and overall they did not feel having one broken egg and yolk spread had made a clear difference to the outcome.

I do know that one possible risk is the chick having health issue if bacteria permeates the shell (omphalitis). But normally, shells are supposed to be bacteria proof, and it seems washing will just make it more risky.
Thanks, very helpful and reassuring info!

I was freaking out a little.

Sometimes I can't believe the things I get done...

Back
Top Bottom