Modifications to my EggYolk chicken tractor and pics of my birds

NCangler

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 21, 2012
Hi all. My wife and I are new chicken enthusiasts. I acquired an EggYolk chicken tractor back in May and four Brahma Bantam pullets. I love the EggYolk and the birds are very happy in it. But with foxes and hawks already sighted in our back yard I wanted to further secure the birds during the day or when we might not be at home to watch them.

So i got some extra wire like that used on the EggYolk run, some 1/2" PVC pipe and elbows and t's, and some black paint to match the EggYolk run. I made two 10'x2.5' side panels, one 10'x2' run end panel and one 5'x2' coop end panel to lay under and around the EggYolk. I decided to use PVC instead of aluminum because it would weigh less and the PVC elbows were $.28 each instead of $2.00 plus each! I spray painted them black to match the Yolk run color. I attached the two side panels to the Yolk run via stainless steel ties. I then purchased (2) clips to hold the side panels in the "up" position when needing to move the Yolk. The run end panel simply lays in front of the doors. The Yolk end panel lays on the ground then I simply roll the Yolk onto it. I then secure the side and run end panel with 12" galvanized spikes with 1/2" galvanized washers that I secured with ties underneath so they don't fall off. I simply hammer the spikes down over the wire as seen in the photo and when I want to move the Yolk I just pull up the spikes, pick up the run end panel, lift up the two side panels and clip them, then roll the Yolk off the Yolk end panel, move the Yolk to where I want it, lay down the Yolk end panel, roll the Yolk up on it, drop the side panels, lay down the run end panel, and secure them again with the spikes.

I'm pretty happy with the result. Here are some pics of the finished product and my birds. Let me know if you have any questions about the setup. There are probably better ways to do it but this worked for me and now I feel very safe in leaving the birds out during the day or night in their run.

We love it too. There is a roost bar inside the coop and on the outside that you can see in the picture. There is also a feeder and waterer unit inside and out. There are lots of ventilation options and clean out of the unit is very easy. There is a trap door underneath so I just disconnect the run from the coop, let the birds into the garden, rake out the shavings and poop into our compost pile, wash out the coop, let it dry, put in new shavings, roll it back up to the run and connect, then put the birds back in. The run and yolk all roll together to move the unit by just lifting on the run end with the handles. All I need now is an automated lift system to raise and lower the door ramp at dusk/dawn. :)

Oh and we have two next boxes that are accessible on the back side of the coop as seen in this picture. Simply turn the handles and reach inside to gather the eggs. We can't wait till the girls reach laying age. The large middle door is where you access/place the inside waterer/feeder units. They Yolk can accommodate up to six birds. We only purchased four to start with and now I wish we had six!

Last edited:
very neat set-up. You have pretty girls.... happy girls with their fine coop and run. I'm new to chicken farming and I can't tell you how excited I was to get my first egg. I think something is amiss in my life when having a chicken lay an egg can make me do a happy dance. Good luck with your girls.

can you put a picture of the inside it looks so cool if only they made bigger ones. I have 100 layers
D.gif

Okay, I took some quick pictures inside the coop. I'll try to take some better ones next time I clean it out. I need to add some shavings as they've scratched and bunched them up. Here is inside view from the rear access door.

This is from the same view that shows one of the feeders and one of the removable nesting boxes.

Another view inside:

Here is a view from one of the nest box access holes.

And here is a view from outside the run looking into the coop. This shows the adjustable vents and the ramp that is raised and lowered from the other side of the coop and secured with a stainless steel cleat.

Back
Top Bottom