modified diet during a molt?

I use 20% flock raiser (not a layer feed) year round, with crushed eggshell on the side. I don't need to change anything - not when they're molting, not when not laying (mine stop all winter), not when I add chicks, not if I have roosters, etc. - one feed all the time for everybody, and it works great! I have no problems and no worry about who's eating what.

Everybody's different. Flock raiser and oyster shell are fine. It depends on your goals. I like the little extra nutrition high protein layer feed added to flock raiser provides. My hens lay all winter with no problems and I have a high hatch rate all year.

I've read multiple sources with conflicting advice ranging from
You get conflicting advice because we do different things for different reasons.

In my experience when hens molt they stop laying. In my opinion they use the nutrients that were going into making eggs to make feathers. I personally do not see a need to increase the amount of protein or anything else available to make feathers above the amount that was going to making eggs.

The speed that they molt is controlled by genetics. It is not about how fast the feathers grow back but instead on how fast they fall out. Fast molters lose feathers so fast the molt can be over in a month or so. Slow molters may take 5 months to finish the molt. Fast molters lose feathers in clumps, they look really bad. You may not even be able to see that they are molting by looking at a slow molter. They don't lose them in clumps. Your only sign may be a few feathers floating around.

Since the rate of molt is controlled by genetics and how fast they fall out the overall time for a molt is not significantly going to be changed by increasing the protein. If they eat more protein the feathers will probably come back a little nicer. I've never done that so I don't know how much nicer they may be. Mine always come back looking nice and I don't show mine so I don't have a need to go for that extra edge.

I typically feed mine the same year-around. I have a rooster and often have juveniles in the flock that don't need the extra calcium in Layer so I feed a low calcium feed with oyster shell on the side. Mine forage for a lot of their food so I can't micromanage their diet anyway. Most of the year they get a Grower but if I have baby chicks (less than 1 month old) in the flock they all get a Starter. That's to help the chicks get feathered out faster.

If you want to feed your chickens a higher protein feed you can, whether when laying eggs or when molting or both. Many people on this forum that I respect would agree with you. But I personally don't see the benefit to my chickens. Since higher protein feed typically costs more I don't see a benefit to the extra cost.

Corn is not a balanced diet. Corn has certain nutrients that can be part of a balanced diet but if you feed all of anything it will be short in some things.

I was talking about the difference in a 16% balanced diet versus a 20% balanced diet. Not just one nutrient.
I'm just kidding, honestly, I don't care what others feed their flock. Im in a land of ice and snow during the winter, high protein is great up here for feathers and fertility.

If they eat more protein the feathers will probably come back a little nicer. I've never done that so I don't know how much nicer they may be. Mine always come back looking nice and I don't show mine so I don't have a need to go for that extra edge.

The first time I fed a 20% protein feed during a molt was surprising! It made up my mind forever.
Feathers last all year, so it's not like a short term effect or anything.

I think the new feathers grow back faster with the higher protein too - or rather, they aren't delayed by the bird trying to marshal resources to grow them. But it's hard to prove.

Most of the year they get a Grower but if I have baby chicks (less than 1 month old) in the flock they all get a Starter. That's to help the chicks get feathered out faster.

It must depend on what feeds a person has access to locally / various stores.

At mine, Grower and Starter is the same feed... as is All Flock. So I feed 20% Grower for all ages.

Thanks for all the suggestions and conversations! I feed my girls Kalmbach 17% layer crumbles and have crushed oyster shell always available in a separate feeder. Given what I've read from other sources and the wisdom shared here, I will likely switch to a higher protein feed during the molt (perhaps through our Ohio winter and into spring). Still trying to decide if I want to offer them the choice with two separate feeders, or simply mix the normal 17% ration with a non-medicated grower feed (about 20%) in a single feeder. Your thoughts?

It is that time of year when it looks like a chicken exploded in the coop--molting has begun and feathers are everywhere! What can I do to help them get through it? I've read multiple sources with conflicting advice ranging from:

1. increasing protein with supplements to their typical rations (meal worms
2. temporarily switching from a layer feed to a grower feed during molt (for increased protein)
3. switching to a low protein/high energy "resting" diet
4. do nothing--continue with normal laying rations

My girls are currently fed Kalmbach 17% protein layer feed. I am asking for the collective wisdom of the forum: Is it necessary to modify my hen's diet during their molt? What are your experiences?
I give moulting birds scrambled eggs and spirulina (same thing I feed baby chicks) - this gives them the protein boost needed with all the essential amino acids, vitamins, minerals and trace minerals to refeather quickly, usually 10-14 days.

You can also use a supplement like Nekton Biotin Vitamin Supplement for Feather Support.

Moulting is very hard on birds so I believe supplementation during this time is crucial to their overall health. You could do nothing if that's what you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom