Mold/rust in metal trash can?+ Storing feed

GrimApatheia

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2023
Sorry if this is already redundant somewhere in the forums. I'd been storing my quail's feed in plastic Lowe's buckets with tight lids for a while, but with the amount of feed we buy I would need multiple buckets. So I switched to a metal trash can from TS, since they're widely used and they're even used for horse feed at a barn I board at. But eventually I noticed the dust on the side of the can was getting sort of 'sticky', not in the traditional sense but moreso it definitely wasn't dry and dusty, and the feed started to smell off. So, take it out, clean it, all the feed is sticking to the bottom and I know I've got moisture issues. Wash out the can and there's a rusty-looking patch on the bottom that I do not trust. So, can's out of commission, go back to a bucket for now. And then the feed dust gets sticky, and the bottom of the feed is stuck! I don't know how the moisture is getting in! I can't pay $40+ for a feed storage bin, but I definitely don't feel great just leaving it in the bags. :( Anyone had this happen?

No worries about your posting, there are tens of thousands of redundancies here.

As for feed storage, I advise plastic containers. When it is hot, metal sweats, feed molds and metal rusts.
I've used large stackable heavy plastic bins for decades and never had rodents or anything else get in.
Moldy feed is dangerous to feed. Botulism and other poisoning can occur.
There are thousands of types of fungus, some fungus is healthful, some is not. Mold/fungus is natures recycler.
If feed gets wet, either discard it or ferment it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom