Molting and can’t balance

FEFE24

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2020
Hello
I have 3 hens that just all started molting for the first time. (One is molting faster then the others). Today when she came out it looked like she couldn’t balance. She kinda wobbles and then sits down until I try and move her. I’m thinking this might just have to do with molting but I’m not sure. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    919.9 KB · Views: 9
Molting is very hard on a chicken sometimes, growing back feathers can be painful and requires extra time and nutrients. You can provide extra protein for your molting chickens (scrambled eggs, canned tuna, 20% protein feed, etc) to help. Electrolytes or Nutri-Drench in the water can also help!

I also know that my molting chickens sometimes get picked on by others, getting pecked hard on the head, etc. that would cause wobbliness. This happened with my Silkie a lot. I’d keep an eye on her and provide extra protein and fluids for her.
Keep us posted!

I've had some that got wobbly or looked drunk during molt. Supplementing with a B complex vitamin tablet daily helped (human vitamins, regular not time release). Several of the B vitamins in deficiency can cause balance or neuromuscular symptoms. You can grind up the tablet and mix it with some feed moistened with a little water for her to eat. Sometimes molt can be really hard on them, they feel awful and they don't eat well. You might also try giving some high protein treats as mentioned above, to entice them to eat a bit better. They usually love scrambled eggs. That's what I would do first, to see if you have some improvement. With the B's during molt I often see improvement after one or two doses.

Back
Top Bottom