Mountain Peeps's Chat Thread...Continued!

Combs are normal, and they don't have any male feathering. Spurs aren't unusual in hens, and rooster behavior is common in flocks without a roo. :p

X2
I had a sebright once who crowed and acted like a rooster... but also laid eggs, so she obviously was a hen. LOL Sometimes when a rooster is absent or when chickens are in tight confinement, they will behave rooster-ish.

X2 to both of these.
We have one hen in particular who acts like a rooster. When we had to cull her husband (I'm not even kidding, they adored each other), she took over the role of rooster, as far as (trying to) mate the hens. I'm surprised she hasn't crowed yet. :hmm
I've had at least five hens with some sort of spur. One of our buff hens got a really nice looking point on the end! :th

Combs are normal, and they don't have any male feathering. Spurs aren't unusual in hens, and rooster behavior is common in flocks without a roo. :p
X2
I had a sebright once who crowed and acted like a rooster... but also laid eggs, so she obviously was a hen. LOL Sometimes when a rooster is absent or when chickens are in tight confinement, they will behave rooster-ish.
X2 to both of these.
We have one hen in particular who acts like a rooster. When we had to cull her husband (I'm not even kidding, they adored each other), she took over the role of rooster, as far as (trying to) mate the hens. I'm surprised she hasn't crowed yet. :hmm
I've had at least five hens with some sort of spur. One of our buff hens got a really nice looking point on the end! :th

Well, I knew Marigold's comb was normal, because it's always been like that, but I was growing a little concerned about Egg's sudden comb growth. :lol:
I knew that hens could get little spurs, but I didn't think that they grew as long as roo spurs? I was told that they stay buds? :th :p
They used to have poofy tails, now they have tall and curly tails. I thought that it looked kind of like a roos, which worried me a bit.
I honestly thought they were turning into boys somehow (I know, weird, but it happens :lau ), and I was starting to panic, since we can't have roos. :lau :lau

Okay, everyone, let's see what you make of this:
View attachment 1028993

View attachment 1028995

I only have these two chickens, and both are definitely girls. However, they both have long spurs, long combs, what looks like saddle feathers, and roo-like tails. Right?
So, why do my girls look and, sometimes, behave like boys (crowing, feeding each other, etc.)?
Anyone got any ideas? :lol:
They're turning into SHE-MALES

Well, I knew Marigold's comb was normal, because it's always been like that, but I was growing a little concerned about Egg's sudden comb growth. :lol:
I knew that hens could get little spurs, but I didn't think that they grew as long as roo spurs? I was told that they stay buds? :th :p
They used to have poofy tails, now they have tall and curly tails. I thought that it looked kind of like a roos, which worried me a bit.
I honestly thought they were turning into boys somehow (I know, weird, but it happens :lau ), and I was starting to panic, since we can't have roos. :lau :lau

Nope, nothing weird or male-ish about them.

Back
Top Bottom