Moving chicks from brooder to coop?

sheriffdonut

Hatching
Sep 19, 2024
First time chicken owner! I have four RIR pullets about 2-3 weeks old and they are going feral in the brooder. The temps here range from 79F in the morning to 67F at night. Will they survive being moved this week or do I need to wait longer?
I can't run a heat source to the coop.
TIA!

Attachments

• 9979890B-2641-463B-9939-EDC25299E656.jpeg
    9979890B-2641-463B-9939-EDC25299E656.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 19
  • 47D9DD76-3AB2-4EB0-8E0E-E2AF1FEFEA24.jpeg
    47D9DD76-3AB2-4EB0-8E0E-E2AF1FEFEA24.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 5
Hi and welcome to BYC! :frow

Generally the rule is they can go out when fully feathered, which is at around 6 weeks for most breeds. At two weeks old, they usually should be at around 80 to 85F. It's only a guide, but I think I'd wait at least one more week as you'd not want them getting chilled and then sick.

chicks outside temp.jpg

I would ease them into it by moving them out in the day time for progressively longer periods of time. If not restricting them to the coop, make sure they have access to areas with shade and wind protection.

After about a week you can leave them out permanently provided temperatures remain consistent.

As long as it's warm, you can start putting them outside now and gradually work them up to being outside full time as @rosemarythyme explained. I find that the recommended temperatures for chick brooders can be a little high for my warm climate, I use the chicks' behavior as the most accurate temperature guide.

Since this is your first flock, keep in mind that baby chicks this young are small enough to be a tempting snack for a wide variety of predators. For example, the most prevalent chick predator in my area are snakes that are no issue for adult birds. Chicks also don't yet have much "common sense", so for the first couple of weeks make sure they are either being supervised very closely by a human or placed in a predator-proof enclosure.

Have fun with them as they get to explore the outdoors for the first time!

First time chicken owner! I have four RIR pullets about 2-3 weeks old and they are going feral in the brooder. The temps here range from 79F in the morning to 67F at night. Will they survive being moved this week or do I need to wait longer?
I can't run a heat source to the coop.
Basically I agree with Rosemarythyme. My experience is that they can handle a lot more than that temperature-age chart shows. At a young age, less than 4 to 5 weeks, they need a warm spot to go to so they can warm up if they get cold. They need to stay dry (out of the rain) and out of a breeze when it is cooler. Or be able to get out of a breeze if they need to. Mine are very good about managing things like that at a very young age. Mine typically feather out enough by 4 to 5 weeks that they can handle temperatures much colder than that chart shows. I've had chicks under 6 weeks of age go through nights below freezing. Chicks will often amaze you at how well they handle colder temperatures.

I'd keep them on the coop only for the first week or so if not longer. That keeps them out of the weather and gives better predator protection. The big advantage is that it teaches them where home is, where they need to go to sleep at night when you give them access to the run. That doesn't always work, sometimes you need to coop train them by putting them inside when it gets dark but it can help.

Take them out there when you can watch them and see how they react. They will not be too warm in those temperatures but some shade would be good. If they are cold they will hunch up, fluff up, and start giving a distressed peep. If they fluff up and start peeping take them into warmth.

Don't confuse this with them being afraid of change. Often they will love the new space from the start but sometimes they need a few minutes to get used to it. If they are not fluffed up they are not cold.

It is still too early to be 100% sure but that chick you are holding looks like it could be a male. That comb on a chick that young plus general body conformation are suspicious. Cockerels are often bold, brave, and full of personality. They can quickly become your favorites. I hope I'm wrong but you might keep it in mind as a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom