Moving eggs from hen to an incubator?

nafajugy

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2021
I have a broody silkie who has been sitting on eggs that I put under for almost 21 days now. About a week ago I put some serama eggs under her to hatch, but since we are reaching the time when the silkie chicks should be hatching, she probably wont sit on the other eggs once the silkie ones hatch (if all goes well) so I wanted to put the serama eggs in an incubator after she completely leaves the nest. Since they would probably be around 10 days or so under a hen, would I still need to have the eggs turned? What about humidity? I have never hatched in an incubator and have read that seramas are notorious with low hatch rates in an incubator and just wanted to be sure I do the best possible thing right off.

Since they would probably be around 10 days or so under a hen, would I still need to have the eggs turned? What about humidity? I have never hatched in an incubator and have read that seramas are notorious with low hatch rates in an incubator and just wanted to be sure I do the best possible thing right off.
Eggs should generally be turned until about day 18. I've read that Seramas often hatch a day or two early, so maybe turn the eggs until about day 16. Either way, if you put 10-day eggs in the incubator, you should plan to turn them regularly for some number of days.

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions about humidity, or about serama-specific issues.

Eggs should generally be turned until about day 18. I've read that Seramas often hatch a day or two early, so maybe turn the eggs until about day 16. Either way, if you put 10-day eggs in the incubator, you should plan to turn them regularly for some number of days.

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions about humidity, or about serama-specific issues.
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom