MPC Super blue egg layer eggs

Quick photo update of the SBELS at 14 weeks:
Beauties!
I love her wild hair-do look!
Yes, she has since grown in more big girl feathers this past week.

Well this read is many things -- informative, exciting and depressing.

Mid to late Feb I ordered and received in great condition, chicks from MPC. Almost all SBEL because I WANTED BLUE EGGS!!!!!! Reading this I suppose that my shipment will not be producing much of that! How very, very annoying, disappointing, EXPENSIVE that will be. My 2 surviving cockrels are just full Leghorns in appearance. Some of the hens have fuller combs (MOST) and white lobes. I do not want white eggs. I do not want leghorns, heck I could have those for 10% of what these "jewels" cost me. Not to mention the time & cost to grow them out.

If MPC if just sending F1's then they should ADVISE this, adjust the prices and let buyers know that. I also raise mini-Nubian goats. If I were to sell an F! to a customer who anticipated, and wanted, F5 then I would be considered a very poor breeder and a fraud.....unless I fully advised the differences.

Today, I bought four 20 mo old TBWhitings........from an individual. I paid less than 1/2 the cost of those day old chicks and will probably get better color. Who knows but, I will find out very soon. So I am getting ready to put ALL these hens into a new and controlled pen, await the laying of eggs and go from there.
At least I do have a nice Ameraucana cockrel coming along, same age, with muffs, tuffs, color, dark legs, pea comb and ALL that. So guess who is going to be a very busy little man? The TBW guy is nice but, has a split comb that flops -- what does THAT mean?? -- but the 3 ladies have the tiny nothing ones. They look like the SBEL, as 2 are white with black specks, one is grey. Of the 2 white, one has yellow & one grey legs.

Now, if I end up with white egg layers and white producing males from the MPC shipment, you can bet your sweet ASSKme that I will be one very, very, very unhappy customer. MPC should have some commitment to advising of generational status AND should allow we buyers to select our desire for paying the huge price THINKING we are getting what is advertised. Get the message?

Here's one roo & one hen of SBEL. The roo is VERY aggressive -- will probably meet with the stew pot given his comb situation.

Look hard & you can see the floppy split comb but, other wise nice roo. LOL

This is Romeo who's getting his feathers finished. And I have an even younger black Ameraucana who "may" be able to help in the Spring.

Yes, I know the white hens and this roo may give me those eggs but I REALLY don't want to wait another 6 months to find out. My time is as valuable as MPC and I dislike that this situation is becoming more rampant the more I read and see. Buyer beware is just not what you should be forced into when the advertisng is what it is.

Last edited:
Well this read is many things -- informative, exciting and depressing.

Mid to late Feb I ordered and received in great condition, chicks from MPC. Almost all SBEL because I WANTED BLUE EGGS!!!!!! Reading this I suppose that my shipment will not be producing much of that! How very, very annoying, disappointing, EXPENSIVE that will be. My 2 surviving cockrels are just full Leghorns in appearance. Some of the hens have fuller combs (MOST) and white lobes. I do not want white eggs. I do not want leghorns, heck I could have those for 10% of what these "jewels" cost me. Not to mention the time & cost to grow them out.

If MPC if just sending F1's then they should ADVISE this, adjust the prices and let buyers know that. I also raise mini-Nubian goats. If I were to sell an F! to a customer who anticipated, and wanted, F5 then I would be considered a very poor breeder and a fraud.....unless I fully advised the differences.

Today, I bought four 20 mo old TBWhitings........from an individual. I paid less than 1/2 the cost of those day old chicks and will probably get better color. Who knows but, I will find out very soon. So I am getting ready to put ALL these hens into a new and controlled pen, await the laying of eggs and go from there.
At least I do have a nice Ameraucana cockrel coming along, same age, with muffs, tuffs, color, dark legs, pea comb and ALL that. So guess who is going to be a very busy little man? The TBW guy is nice but, has a split comb that flops -- what does THAT mean?? -- but the 3 ladies have the tiny nothing ones. They look like the SBEL, as 2 are white with black specks, one is grey. Of the 2 white, one has yellow & one grey legs.

Now, if I end up with white egg layers and white producing males from the MPC shipment, you can bet your sweet ASSKme that I will be one very, very, very unhappy customer. MPC should have some commitment to advising of generational status AND should allow we buyers to select our desire for paying the huge price THINKING we are getting what is advertised. Get the message?

Here's one roo & one hen of SBEL. The roo is VERY aggressive -- will probably meet with the stew pot given his comb situation.

Look hard & you can see the floppy split comb but, other wise nice roo. LOL

This is Romeo who's getting his feathers finished. And I have an even younger black Ameraucana who "may" be able to help in the Spring.

Yes, I know the white hens and this roo may give me those eggs but I REALLY don't want to wait another 6 months to find out. My time is as valuable as MPC and I dislike that this situation is becoming more rampant the more I read and see. Buyer beware is just not what you should be forced into when the advertisng is what it is.

I'm waiting with baited breath too- so are your pullets 22 or so weeks now? Mine are 16 weeks old so we've got a little ways to go before the big egg color reveal. I imagine that the aggressive roo, straight comb or not, might not be of much use based on his behavior alone.

Hopefully others with these SBEL birds will chime in with their experiences and of course with pictures of the eggs laid by the SBEL F1s--- then we'll have a better picture of their performance.

I will definitely pic my eggs once they get here! Have EEs that give me pale blue tinted, I want BLUE!

I've looked & looked and decided that the TBW roo has not got a "split" comb but it is "probably" a pea that is not pretty but longer and floppier than most. However, if it means he has the blue gene, he's a keeper until I find others are doing better. At my age I am NOT into waiting a yr to hatch, grow, lay and begin again.
roll.png
I want it NOW! I am only going to buy hens that I SEE lay that egg I want!

I sold both my SBEL Roo's from MPC due to aggression towards me, then the kids. They looked like what you have, but definitely straight combs, snow white feathers with a couple of black dots here and there. I kept 2 hens due to lay end of August. They have pea combs. I also have an ameraucana, araucanas, and whiting true blues. If I don't get a blue egg out of something, I'm done. The hunt is over, I give up. Not going to spend more $'s chasing after a chicken who has to have a virus to lay a blue egg - that's what is causing them to be blue as far as I understand (a virus).
th.gif

Last edited:
I sold both my SBEL Roo's from MPC due to aggression towards me, then the kids. They looked like what you have, but definitely straight combs, snow white feathers with a couple of black dots here and there. I kept 2 hens due to lay end of August. They have pea combs. I also have an ameraucana, araucanas, and whiting true blues. If I don't get a blue egg out of something, I'm done. The hunt is over, I give up. Not going to spend more $'s chasing after a chicken who has to have a virus to lay a blue egg - that's what is causing them to be blue as far as I understand (a virus).
th.gif
Here's an article about that- happened a long long time ago and activated the blue gene that chickens already carried:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d...-why-some-chicken-eggs-are-blue/#.V5pHjaLYMaE

I sold both my SBEL Roo's from MPC due to aggression towards me, then the kids. They looked like what you have, but definitely straight combs, snow white feathers with a couple of black dots here and there.

That's starting to sound like a recurring theme- white roo, big comb, aggressive.
So far the gray SBEL cockerel hasn't shown aggression- though we're right about the age where the hormones start up- 16 weeks.

What I have is, just that WHAT I have. If any of the SBEL lay white eggs, my scream will be deafening! Some have straight comb, some pea, so should have light & lighter blue eggs. The 3 Whiting hens have pea comb (from dark blue eggs!) and seems the roo has a pea comb (not a pretty one!!!) but he is nicely colored eye candy otherwise. Also have 3 black Ameaucanas (only 2 mos...bought eggs for my broody hen) which I believe are 2 hens & a roo. From entirely different lines, 3 blue (?) black & a splash, Ameraucana..one a roo.

If I don't get some blue from this lot, I am done trying.

I will cross the pea comb Whiting with SBEL & other TBWs, my EE and maybe a couble brown egg layers for some darker greens.

Hoping some of the BCMs will start up soon, also. 3 are laying but not DARK...have 6 more to go. The ones laying are Blue CMs, so expected lighter.
I bought most as 3 day olds, so ended up with some real pretty roos but don't need 6. Have 3 Blue & 3 Black CMs. Just so many runs needed to keep everyone separated and alive -- you know how those guys fight!. Expect I will CL a couple.

When all is said and done -- WHY do I think I need the aggravation & expense of a blue egg? My Orpingtons, Jersey Giants & Barred Rocks are such wonderful girls! No fuss, great layers of large eggs, not flighty (or flying everywhere!). I really like my stable, stout & fluffy girls. Writing is on the wall, the big, beautiful hens will be my keepers (once I get that ****** blue egg!)

ALAS -- we will all be excited to see each others hens laying.....and the pictures. I hope we are all successful that they have "the" gene.

Back
Top Bottom