Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Brown duckling, much bigger than the others. I think its a drake.

It's hard to see in photo but this one has peachy orange tone on head chest and belly, with gray (lavender???) tail and lower back feathers. This was a very light tan wild type duckling when born. Could this be a buff? The one to the right of it is coming in all gray with a white bib and head. I've only had one silver, and my silver seemed more streaky than this gray. The seller I bought eggs from said lavender was a possible outcome.

the duckling standing on right facing camera, directly in front of the blue and white mom, has gray and tan feathers edged in white. Maybe a lilac barred?

most are brown barred, looks black in photo. they have changed a lot.
you mean chocolate barred

Thanks! I have seen pictures of yours. You have some amazing birds.  
Muscovy genetics are kicking my butt. I bought this batch of chicks as eggs, all except the lone blue chick that was from my own ducks egg.
I did get Holderalds (sp?) book but muscovy genetics still puzzle me. The gray colors, sepia and pastels especially. What I wonder is what happens as more people get the lavender gene and it's mixed with the silver, and chocolate lets say. Or why would buff take a double blue (silver) chocolate and ripple? Isn't ripple a pattern? What does a ripple day old chick look like? Why can't you calculate aytipico into the gene calculator? Do we have sepia in the USA, is it the same as Bronze? What combo would give you the coloring some describe as mid-purple? Fume, torte, calico,looney and faux bronze arghh. Blood red chest? I just ran across a mention of that one. Crazy

They can be mind boggling! I will break it down as best I can.

Buff is silver and chocolate. Ripple is a pattern not a color, but it seems to dilute the color a little bit in my experience.

Lavender is the only pastel gene in muscovy ducks. Lavender and chocolate gives you creams. Lavender and blues and silvers is hard to distinguish since the colors are so similar.

Atipico is a recessive gene which requires two copies to show. I am not sure if it is different from the self genes such as self black and self chocolate.

To the best of my knowledge we don't have bronze or sepia genes in the US. One of the problems with muscovy genetics is not many breed for specific color. Most people have mixed color flocks.

The light colored babies in this pic are chocolate ripples. The others are wild type chocolates.

Looney is a combination of ripple and barred. It's takes some calculated breeding since both of them are recessive genes. Learycow is working on them, but I don't know if she has hatched any yet. Calico is most often a common name for blue fawn. The rest of the colors you described are mainly in Europe.

I don't have a good pic of my drake, but he is blue fawn (I thought he had been dirty when I got him, lol). my girls are black and white. what colours of ducklings can I expect if they hatch?

Breeding a blue fawn drake to black hens will give you twenty five percent blue drakes, twenty five percent black drakes, twenty five percent blue fawn hens, twenty five percent chocolate hens. Round about anyhow.

Breeding a blue fawn drake to black hens will give you twenty five percent blue drakes, twenty five percent black drakes, twenty five percent blue fawn hens, twenty five percent chocolate hens. Round about anyhow.
thank you. god knows what I will get as I put 6 eggs from 1 and 7 from the other one hen. I hope I didn't put males, lol. and I see I should take a good care of my girls as there will be no black and white ones, which are my favorite.

when I was buying a drake there was one very handsome, blue/white with some black on his head. but unfortunately was older. I chose a blue one hoping to get blue/black/white ducklings. if I keep 1 blue drake and cross him with a black hen will I get blue/black/white ducklings next year?

Back
Top Bottom