Mushroom/Fungi experts, What is this?

That is not a chicken of the woods, don't eat it. COTW are fall mushrooms and ALWAYS grow on wood not the ground. It does resemble it though. I have picked thousands of them personally.

I should have waited til I got home with my field guide. There is a subspecies of the fall chicken mushroom, Laetiporus persinicus, that does appear on oak here in PA in the spring. It has white, not orange undersides.

Maybe. Maybe not. The first rule of finding wild mushrooms is NOT to eat anything unless you're absolutely certain what it is.

So true, so true.

I have often commented here that there are very few mushrooms that will kill you, but there are many that will make you wish you were dead.

I am stymied by the picture. I don't recognise it at all, but that could be because I am on the opposite side of the continent.
The closest I can find in my mushroom encyclopedia is a variety of COTW "Laetiporus Suylphureus (var. semialbinus)" But it's not close enough for an ID. Same with "Bondarzewia montana", but that one is more western and fall.
Although 'shrooms can pop up in odd places and out of their normal season. I've picked Chantrelles in the Spring and Angel Wings in the fall.
I'm thinking maybe it is too young yet, to easily ID.
The OP might want to contact an mycological society in Ar.

Imp- I'm very curious

I have been following this thread in the hopes of finding out some information. Although I have informally studied mushrooms in the past I am completely baffled by the OP's picture. My initial thought was the same as chickened in that I do not believe that it is a COTW of any kind but I can find nothing in my literature that closely resembles the picture. I was leaning toward an identification as some sort of shelf fungi because of its shape and orange coloring. I would like it if the OP would be able to tell what the substance is like. It is possible that it may just be some form of unidentifiable fungi.

I have been following this thread in the hopes of finding out some information. Although I have informally studied mushrooms in the past I am completely baffled by the OP's picture. My initial thought was the same as chickened in that I do not believe that it is a COTW of any kind but I can find nothing in my literature that closely resembles the picture. I was leaning toward an identification as some sort of shelf fungi because of its shape and orange coloring. I would like it if the OP would be able to tell what the substance is like. It is possible that it may just be some form of unidentifiable fungi.

Hi, sorry I almost forgot I posted this.
roll.png
The fungi was almost like cooked chicken in substance. I was wondering if it could be the COTW that faded in the sun? However, it doesn't look like the photo of COTW that someone posted a link to. It didn't look like a shelf fungi, but maybe it's growing on a root. I wish I still had my field guide. I'm getting nowhere searching the net.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom