My chick fell 2 1/2 feet, is she okay?

Bumpy_JSC

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2024
So I had made my chicks a balcony so they have more space to move around. But one of them was running up and down so much she fell on my wood floor, I picked her immediately and put her back but it looked like one of her legs hurt. These chicks are probably 3-4 days old. I was worried it broke or sprained, but she would be chirping if it was hurting? She was kinda hoping and then sitting at the food eating then drinking water. Later on started standing on one foot using a little bit of the other leg, but she would sit back down. She seems to still have the same energy because she’s pulling on the other chicks wing and head :rolleyes:. I’m just worried she won’t be able to walk, before I had a chick who fell from the same length and nothing was wrong with her. Let me know if anyone knows she will be okay and maybe she just bruised it because I’m really worried:(.

Welcome to BYC. I would remove the balcony to prevent further injuries. Could you post a picture of the chick showing how it holds the leg? Hopefully, it is just a minor injury. Look for any swelling, green bruising, or a break in the skin. Make sure the chick is getting plenty or water and food, and that it is not being bullied.

Chicks can usually handle jumping a couple feet down, but the behavior of your chick could indicate an injury. They don't always peep and as prey animals naturally try to hide weakness.

Welcome to BYC. I would remove the balcony to prevent further injuries. Could you post a picture of the chick showing how it holds the leg? Hopefully, it is just a minor injury. Look for any swelling, green bruising, or a break in the skin. Make sure the chick is getting plenty or water and food, and that it is not being bullied.
There is no colour change in her foot, I removed the balcony I have her in the cage. She’s in there with one other chicken, i’ve been watching her a lot she walks around holing her foot up a little and sits down at the water or food to eat and drink. So she’s eating and drinking food still which is good. She had no skin breakage. She still bullying the other chick we have :lol: so i’m glad she still acting the same just had a hurt leg. They are sleeping right now I can get a picture later, but it looks like how a chick would be standing she just has it lifted a little bit, sometimes i’ll catch her standing on one foot putting a little bit pressure on the other so maybe that’s a sign she’s getting better? Btw this barely happened not even 24 hours ago.

Chicks can usually handle jumping a couple feet down, but the behavior of your chick could indicate an injury. They don't always peep and as prey animals naturally try to hide weakness.
Right now she’s walking kinda putting a little bit of weight on it but she sits down once she gets to where she wants to go. No swelling or bleeding it’s still the same color.

Back
Top Bottom