My chickens are sleeping on the floor, should I be concerned?

Thanks for all the help. @Shayna I just bought me a set of solar Christmas lights but haven't installed them yet. I think they'll be much easier, I'll just used the lantern for back up. It has gotten too cold here so far, so I'm not really worried about the heat right now. I have a nice layer or pine shaving on the floor that should keep them warm right now.

Quote:
Mine sleep on the floor also, But in my case I believe it's because there is not enough clearance between the roost and roof. Not much I can do about that as the space is quite small. I am use the deep litter method so I think there is plenty of bedding to keep them warm. Where I am at it can get down to -20 for a month or more and we will not use heat. 1 if there is a power outage I am not bringing them in the house to stay warm ( thats why they have feathers) and 2 the fire hazard. I just don't want to take that risk.

if you say so, i personally dont want my chickens freezing their butts off
Quote:

You don't need a heat lamp.. This is actually worse for them than better..
Everyone worries the heat lamps are a fire hazard But I asked my hatchery and asked the bird vet and they told me to turn them on in the winter when very cold. Of course they are hot to touch so placed safely and carefully so they won't fall or touch the birds

Everyone worries the heat lamps are a fire hazard But I asked my hatchery and asked the bird vet and they told me to turn them on in the winter when very cold. Of course they are hot to touch so placed safely and carefully so they won't fall or touch the birds
And yes I know plenty of people that keep them warm with out lights. Depends on area they live and breed too. Mine were shivering and their combs were turning white. But my sons chickens live in a different type coop and says they are fine.

if you say so, i personally dont want my chickens freezing their butts off
Quote:

You don't need a heat lamp.. This is actually worse for them than better..
Heat lamps are unnecessary In Arkansas. Your eminent get cool enough to be a problem. How in th world did chickens get long 160 years ago?
They were just fine.

Back
Top Bottom