My chickens stopped laying eggs but are too young to be done

Inesg9

Chirping
Nov 11, 2017
Hi there, I have only two chickens, and Rhode Island Red and an Alstrotorp. They should both be around 2 1/2 and 3 years old. Over the summer they stopped laying eggs, first it was getting less regular and then they stopped altogether. One of the last badges I found outside in the yard and then a few of the very last ones (beginning of august) in the coop about 3 weeks later. I thought maybe it was too hot or they just got lazy or they got too many treats ( which I stopped all together for a while so they be their later pallets). One of them started molting end of August and when she was done the other ones started and is in the middle of it now. Could it be that they take on each other’s behavior? Meaning if one doesn’t lay eggs the other one thinks ‘we’ll then I don’t have to lay them either’? I got one at about 7 months old and the other one as an adult chicken that was supposed to be around 1 1/2. Unless they gave me the wrong age on both of them.?? Any idea if I can get them to lay again? Or how I know they are definitely done.

Hens over a year will stop laying to molt in the fall. Generally between August and December. Most will resume after January. I've had them resume as early as December, and others will not start again until March.

The older the hen, the longer the breaks. A hens best production is seen in her first and second season. Most start to fall off in production after that. Most will lay at a decreased rate until 5-8 years before stopping completely.

Your hens are getting old as far as good production goes. I find feeding a slightly higher ration, 18-20% protein can help to optimize production.

It's best if you want a continuous supply of eggs to get some replacements on a regular basis.

if your hens had a bright red comb this summer, then it is likely they were laying somewhere, maybe not where you could find the eggs though. if they free range or are allowed out of there run this could be the case.
also it is possible that they are eating the eggs. if your chickens are confined and there is no way they are laying out somewhere else. sometimes confined chickens get bored and develop the egg eating habit.
if your goal is eggs, it would not be a bad idea to bring a fresh hen in every year and cull or rehome the oldest bird.
good luck.

Hi there, I have only two chickens, and Rhode Island Red and an Alstrotorp. They should both be around 2 1/2 and 3 years old. Over the summer they stopped laying eggs, first it was getting less regular and then they stopped altogether. One of the last badges I found outside in the yard and then a few of the very last ones (beginning of august) in the coop about 3 weeks later. I thought maybe it was too hot or they just got lazy or they got too many treats ( which I stopped all together for a while so they be their later pallets). One of them started molting end of August and when she was done the other ones started and is in the middle of it now. Could it be that they take on each other’s behavior? Meaning if one doesn’t lay eggs the other one thinks ‘we’ll then I don’t have to lay them either’? I got one at about 7 months old and the other one as an adult chicken that was supposed to be around 1 1/2. Unless they gave me the wrong age on both of them.?? Any idea if I can get them to lay again? Or how I know they are definitely done.

I have this exact same problem. I had three broody's over the summer then they started molting. I have 14 egg laying hens and a pullet too young yet. Is there a super protein boost or something I can do? I sprout mung beans and feed daily along with layer feed.

Could it be that they take on each other’s behavior? Meaning if one doesn’t lay eggs the other one thinks ‘we’ll then I don’t have to lay them either’?
No, egg laying is strictly hormonal and also depends on how much light the pineal gland perceives. First year pullets (under 1 year) that start laying before fall usually seem unaffected by shortening daylight hours and will continue to lay through the winter, but it goes downhill from there, as mentioned above.

I have this exact same problem. I had three broody's over the summer then they started molting. I have 14 egg laying hens and a pullet too young yet. Is there a super protein boost or something I can do? I sprout mung beans and feed daily along with layer feed.
Too many eggs vs. not enough eggs is a constant scenario among poultry keepers. People have found a way around this by either rotating their flock regularly or adding supplemental light to extend the morning hours.
These articles have some insight:
A 3 Year Chicken Rotation to Optimize Year-Round Laying

Supplemental Light in the Chicken Coop: Why and How

Dangers of Supplemental Coop Light

They usually quit laying when they molt, although I have a couple that are molting and are still laying eggs through it. I guess it depends on the chicken but most quit laying during their molt:

Last edited:
This is all great information. Thank you everybody for your input. At least I can hope for some more eggs maybe by December. I’ll try to add more protein to their diet.

Back
Top Bottom