My duck hates me! Or loves me? NEED HELP!

ROTFL!!!! Hilarious stories!!

I have my first ever duckings, a month and a half old. I can't wait to enjoy them (and be irritated and aggravated too).

TOday I was molested by a parakeet at the pet store. I was paying for my purchase and he jumped off his cage and came toward me. I stuck out my finger and he hopped right on and began to mate my index finger VERY vigorously. It made me blush and give him back to the clerk. I commented on how intent he was and she said, "You're lucky he didn't go all the way."

Haha, that is hillarious with the parakeet. I had a male diamond dove that got frisky quite often. My aunt was once wearing a silver hair clip that was the same size and color as a female dove would be - he was in love!

This is difficult - if he was just being mean I would be more likely to want to rehome him, but now I feel bad that he's imprinted on me and thinks I am one of his lady ducks.

Quote:

That quivering thing is a dominance behavior. Older ducks will d that to younger ducks and then flop their necks over the younger duck.

I think the duck sees you as "top drake" and he is trying to knock you down a peg.

I also have an amorous drake. He is not agressive at all, hes a wee sweety. I had to raise him as he became shrink wrapped in his egg, and unfortunately his siblings didn't make it to hatching. It was late summer and I was unable to find any other ducklings to raise him alongside.

Anyway he is now fully grown and has started making courtship gestures at me, ie head up tail up (I think it's called?) and the whistle grunt and another one I don't know the name for but see my other drakes doing it all the time when courting or after mating a duck.

While it's not causing me any problems as he is lovely and friendly and not at all agressive, I want him to be able to enjoy a species appropriate 'romance' and one that is reciprocal! Lol

I would love to hear any tips on how to help redirect his attentions onto a willing female? He's turned out to be a very handsome looking drake, (his father is purebred and the 'alpha male' and he is the only drake hatched here who resembles him), and I have noticed several of my females showing an interest in him even before he was sexually mature. So I am pretty sure that if he turns his affections in the direction of my female ducks he will have no problem finding a willing mate!
So I was wondering if anyone has any hints for ways to try and help him direct his err, 'urges 'in the direction of my female ducks, rather than myself?

Raising him was only the second time I have had a duckling imprint on me (the first were also drakes, but there were two of them, and they courted each other before turning their attentions to the girl ducks!). Anyway I had to take him everywhere with me and I love him dearly, and he is definately the one out of my 70 or so ducks that I am closest to, so I love being,able to go up to him and pat and talk to him. I don't want to stop showing my baby affection, but I also want my baby boy to enjoy a normal relationship with a nice suitable girl! :D
Will he eventually figure this out for himself do you think? He's only young around 4 - 5 months old. He has been living outdoors with the rest of the flock since he was about 3 months.

Last edited:
Try to pay him less attention while he is maturing, My drake was raised inside after his mom rejected him at hatch and boy did he want my attention once he became sexually mature.[Around 4 months] It took me a while to convince him that I was not to be mated and I went and got him his very own girls to grow up with He had 3. He is now 6 yrs old and still my baby boy but only occasionally do I have to remind him I am not his girl friend lol

Geez, it sounds like ducks are sex-addicts in general. I will try to flip him on his back or carry him on his back for a bit and see if that helps. So far I have just gotten frustrated and given him a gentle but forceful shove and that just seems to get him more excited at biting my feet, hands or other available skin. One of his two females disappeared last week. I am hoping if I get him a few more girls maybe he will leave me alone.
hmm.png
I have the same problem I have to walk with a broom every time I go out side.The other day he bit my arm it really bruised bad.Im his mommy and I know he loves me but it's no fun having him bite me

Back
Top Bottom