My duck needs help possible back injury?

Starlee

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2023
Two weeks ago my female Rouen wS fine in the morning layer her egg and was hanging around with my other 17 ducks and chickens. They free range. I'm not sure if she was hurt by mating or by my 3 yr old son by accident. But she can stand and use her legs but when she tries to walk forward she just falls onto her chest. I put her up that day and separated her from every one else. She eats and drinks well. Two days later she was walking much better but then she started having trouble again. They have plenty of niacin and vitamins and food. She isn't getting better and I don't know what do. I can't take to a vet right now but I can fix her if someone knows what's wrong 😕

Attachments

• 20230822_090526.jpg
    20230822_090526.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 20230822_090530.jpg
    20230822_090530.jpg
    903.1 KB · Views: 13
@Miss Lydia
@New duck mommy 2021
Does she have any other things wrong with her, or is it just walking?
This may be able to help: https://farmsteadly.com/duck-losing-balance-falling-over/
Please give any updates! ☺️
Thank you so much! However her only symptom is when she tries to walk she falls forward and her legs behind her....she is healthy in every other way. But isn't laying anymore probably due to isolation? I'm not sure 😕 I've felt all over her body and she doesn't react to any pain that I am aware of and all feels normal! I'm so damn lost with this. It's got me thinking on going back to college for avian vet classes just for the education and to start a farm sanctuary!

You say she has plenty of niacin and vitamins is this in supplements or from their feed?
How many drakes to ducks do you have? And what makes you think your 3 yr old may have accidentally hurt her? Also since she hasn’t laid do you notice her vent pulsing like she maybe trying to lay?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/obturator-paralysis.1438777/. There is this.
Also this maybe something to do with niacin or calcium deficiency
Do you feed layer do they have oyster shell?when the are heavy layers their body can get depleted of calcium and their body starts using from their bones. Calcium gluconate can help if there is an egg stuck and can also give the duck much needed calcium.
Liquid BComplex is what we rec if it’s niacian deficiency. Even mature ducks can come down with a niacin deficiency.

Last edited:
You say she has plenty of niacin and vitamins is this in supplements or from their feed?
How many drakes to ducks do you have? And what makes you think your 3 yr old may have accidentally hurt her? Also since she hasn’t laid do you notice her vent pulsing like she maybe trying to lay?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/obturator-paralysis.1438777/. There is this.
Also this maybe something to do with niacin or calcium deficiency
Do you feed layer do they have oyster shell?when the are heavy layers their body can get depleted of calcium and their body starts using from their bones. Calcium gluconate can help if there is an egg stuck and can also give the duck much needed calcium.
Liquid BComplex is what we rec if it’s niacian deficiency. Even mature ducks can come down with a niacin deficiency.
I'm going tobget more supplies tomorrow but yes she has vitamins and niacin. I'm getting some live meal worms this week as well. They have calcium and duck feed with lots of different grains and such. Nit just plain pellets. I'm starting to think her hips are dislocated or broken. If this is the case how do I pop them back in place?

I'm going tobget more supplies tomorrow but yes she has vitamins and niacin. I'm getting some live meal worms this week as well. They have calcium and duck feed with lots of different grains and such. Nit just plain pellets. I'm starting to think her hips are dislocated or broken. If this is the case how do I pop them back in place?
And I have 2 drakes to 15 females

I think she would be better off seeing a vet for that.
Have you noticed the drakes breeding her more than the others? 15 females to 2 drakes sounds good unless she is being targeted as the one they are overbreeding.

I think she would be better off seeing a vet for that.
Have you noticed the drakes breeding her more than the others? 15 females to 2 drakes sounds good unless she is being targeted as the one they are overbreeding.
No she's been pretty normal in that aspect I think it was just bad incident and I'm thinking my toddler fell on her trying to catch her while I had my back turned 😔

Is she doing better now that it's been a few days?
No sadly she is not improving 😔 but she perked up a bit when I added 3 ducklings in with her! Idk what to do. Already talked to my neighbor rancher about putting her down but I'm not ready to give up.

Back
Top Bottom