My goose’s feet are starting to turn inward…

CarmenandMaria

In the Brooder
May 23, 2024
I am concerned about my 12 year old goose Carmen’s feet are starting to turn inward. We live in Florida and it has been extremely hot. She is a heavy bird and she always seems to have sore feet. I am worried it is her weight. Has anyone experienced this before and is there anything I can do to help her? 🙏🏻 Carmen on left.

Attachments

• IMG_4933.jpeg
    IMG_4933.jpeg
    976.1 KB · Views: 19
What do you feed them? She may be developing arthritis. Weight loss may help.
They do eat very well. I have cut back on their food.
Have you inspected the underneath of her feet for sores?
she does have some sores on her feet. I have been soaking in epsom salt water and putting an antibiotic spray on her feet. Anything else I can be doing?

They do eat very well. I have cut back on their food.

she does have some sores on her feet. I have been soaking in epsom salt water and putting an antibiotic spray on her feet. Anything else I can be doing?
That’s the proper treatment, it’s probably the sores causing her to turn her feet in.
The only other thing is you could add some tart cherry juice to her water now and then or give her some tart cherry pills, she’s getting older so if there’s a chance she’s getting arthritic that can help some of her symptoms.
If her some don’t heal and she worsens she may need a vet to look at them, possibly remove any diseased tissue and do some bacterial sensitivity testing to see what antibiotic would be most effective, and probably start her on meloxicam.

How frequently and for how long do you soak them in Epsom salt water? It's the right treatment, but overdoing it can soften the area and make her feet more tender and prone to injuries. You're probably fine, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case.

How frequently and for how long do you soak them in Epsom salt water? It's the right treatment, but overdoing it can soften the area and make her feet more tender and prone to injuries. You're probably fine, but I thought I'd bring it up just in case.
I don’t know actually, I soak until the issue clears up or it’s soft enough to clean out the bumble “when it’s bumblefoot.”

Back
Top Bottom