My Goslings Have Arrived - A Metzer Farms Review

KathiQuacks

Crowing
May 7, 2022
Central TX
Back in May, I ordered 2 female goslings - 1 Buff, 1 African.

On June 18th, at around 10:30 AM, the shipping label was created in TN (their secondary hatchery).

It was quite a stressful time after that, as the USPS tracker did not update whatsoever until today (June 20th) when they arrived this morning. A whole 46 hours without any idea where my babies are or if they’re even on the way.. I heard this is common, but it really shouldn’t be!!! It’s a lot of unnecessary stress for something that’s meant to be exciting…

I picked up my babies about an hour ago. I’m very happy they arrived within the 48 hour window, despite the unhelpful tracker. I could hear them peeping as a lovely worker brought them over, and…

Boy, are these guys HUGE! And bright, and active! The Buff is a little slow and calm, but I’m wondering if that’s just her breed. My African is all over the place! She tried to jump out of the box the moment I opened it 😂 They have the correctly colored bands on their left legs, their heat pack, and an empty / spilled GroGel cup.

I have them home in their brooder, now, and they’ve already mastered food & water - no bill-dipping needed! Lots of zoomies and wing flaps from the both of them as well. I swear they’re already taking on a defensive goose stance; come on, you’re only 2 days old! :lau So lovely..

I have to give a 5 / 5 stars, as they arrived healthy and on-time, but this tracker really needs to be fixed. What’s even the point of the tracker if it barely tracks anything? :confused:

IMG_9647.jpeg

IMG_9650.jpeg

IMG_9660.jpeg

IMG_9666.jpeg

IMG_9681.jpeg

Last edited:
Adorable. Speaking of the USPS, had a similar incident with an order of turkey poults last week. They were shipped on Monday from Porter's in MI via priority mail express and didn't arrive in Southern VA until Thursday morning with one of sixteen DOA and two more close to death. The only tracking notifications I got was that they had arrived in Detroit on late Monday evening with the next update not until Wednesday morning when they arrived in Roanoke, VA. It was quite stressful for me but moreso for the poults. The two weak ones died over the weekend but the remaining thirteen are doing very well. And speaking of antics, one of the rascals is already puffing up and strutting like an adult Tom... something to behold.

My ducklings just arrived this morning from Metzer, the label was created at noon in Tennessee as well and then absolutely no updates until 6AM this morning, when it said they were in...a city about two hours north of me...and then it arrived at the wrong post office about two hours later. Having had shipments three times now, I force myself to forget about them during the time it doesn't update.

Congratulations on your new goslings! They are so sweet!

Hey, I wanted to ask, actually. I’ve read that African and Buffs are meant to be about the same size / weight. Is this true as goslings, too? This Buff gosling is noticeably larger than the African, and I’m wondering if it’s a problem or not.

When you get them through the mail you want to IMMEDIATELY hydrate them, and get some electrolyte in them. Some food etc. Mailing chicks works... but it is a bit stressful on them.

When you get them through the mail you want to IMMEDIATELY hydrate them, and get some electrolyte in them. Some food etc. Mailing chicks works... but it is a bit stressful on them.
Yep, already got that covered! They figured out their food and water right away :) Thanks, though.

Back
Top Bottom