My Guinea is laying 2 to 3 eggs a day?

My 10 Acre Farm

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2022
We started with 4 guinea hens and now down to 1. Stupid coyotes!!

The one left, she flows us eveywhere now. Gets in the nesting boxes to lay her eggs.

Today she has laid 2 eggs, both soft shells which is not the norm for her.

My question is, why the soft shell? And, is is normal for her to lay 2-3 eggs in a day? Shes done this a few times now.

We started with 4 guinea hens and now down to 1. Stupid coyotes!!

The one left, she flows us eveywhere now. Gets in the nesting boxes to lay her eggs.

Today she has laid 2 eggs, both soft shells which is not the norm for her.

My question is, why the soft shell? And, is is normal for her to lay 2-3 eggs in a day? Shes done this a few times now.
Soft shell eggs are due to her getting insufficient calcium. She should be fed a quality layer feed with free choice oyster shell available. Inability to properly absorb the calcium can be caused by a vitamin D deficiency and or ACV in the water supply.

Normal for a guinea hen is to lay one egg a day during her laying season which may be from March through October. Laying season decreases as they get older.

Soft shell eggs are due to her getting insufficient calcium. She should be fed a quality layer feed with free choice oyster shell available. Inability to properly absorb the calcium can be caused by a vitamin D deficiency and or ACV in the water supply.

Normal for a guinea hen is to lay one egg a day during her laying season which may be from March through October. Laying season decreases as they get older.
But if they're soft shelled, might that suggest she's got -hmm.. yolks being released too close together and moving through system too fast so don't get enough calcium?

That could be! Last night she had 2 and within 30 of each other
I'm not a pro, so - I just remembered semi joking w/ @Mixedflockenthusiast last year abt the trials of being a hen regarding the process of egg laying after watching this video. They're hatched w/x amt of "yolks" or whatever an pre-egg is called & if something alters the process, like dropping more than one at a time or too soon apart, you end up with double yolks or poorly shelled eggs. If it weren't for the 2-3 eggs a day part, I'd agree that she wasn't given enough calcium.
You didn't say when the coyote attack occured,but that she's following you every where. My uneducated opinion is that your hen is stressed out by the loss of flock mates and having a physiological reaction. If you're a female, you can relate. If you're not, go ask a female how stress plays havoc on her cycles. * warning- be very selective regarding which female you choose to ask.
She's going to need new mates regardless. If you get them now everyone will be settled by the time winter sets in.

Back
Top Bottom