My Intro-Tammy from Miami

Great idea! I’ll look into that. I’ve been trying to figure that out so the info will come in handy when I get it built. I feel bad they are out there hot all day. And the pots are not that big. Thx so much.
Sheds make wonderful coops, very easy to convert as well.

Hello Tammy, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Your birds appear to be a Polish, possibly a mix, and a silkie mix.
Do you have any experience with lumbar nerve block injections?
Thank you! I was told Polish (black) and Bantam (tan) but could be a mix. Regarding lumbar nerve block, injections my knowledge is limited as we usually would refer nonsurgical patients out to Pain Management or Neurology for injections and other conservative treatments. Our practice only did open surgeries. I do know that sometimes it works & sometimes it doesn’t. And relief of pain lasts differently on different patients.

Okay! Tammy, have you heard of chicken math? If not, you will soon know what it is. 😊 If you have any thought whatsoever of getting a third or more friends for them, to let them hatch eggs provided you have at least one hen and one rooster, or may be tempted at TSC or some other farm store who sell chicks, you should plan on going larger than you may be currently thinking.

I'm not sure if you are handy with construction or have a handy man there to build a coop, or maybe you can find a coop, shed or ice fishing shack for sale on FB Marketplace or your local classifieds. We'll all steer you from those relatively inexpensive pre-fabs that Amazon, TSC, etc. sell. They won't last more than a couple of years and always say they hold twice the # of chickens than they really will. You may be happy with one of those but it will be short-lived as they usually come with problems, ie., not sturdy, not insulated if you need that there, insufficient run size, insecure, roof that leaks or might fly off or cave in heavy winds or snow, etc.
This is great thank you for all of the information. I’ll have to check out chicken math. And will definitely get myself a handyman around here. I’m also going to check out Facebook marketplace and see what I find then compare.

The heat everywhere has been bad this summer already. You can make a gravity feed waterer with a 5 gallon bucket and watering nibs or cups. We have them and they work out great. With two chickens you can go with a mall size bucket if you want. You can look at what time folks have done here for waterers. You can also consider adding electrolytes to water during this extreme heat. We also give chickens frozen vegetables or fresh fruit and vegetables in small quantities and ibut not everyday to help. Some use baby pools it’s a little water too. Have never tried that though.

Back
Top Bottom