My "maybe temporary" pond, what do you think ?

ILoveMyDucks123

Chirping
May 17, 2024
Canada
We had heavy rain couple weeks ago and a beaver dam busted up the mountain in front of my house, causing water deviation and so water to flow in our backyard ditch. We decided to leverage it and create a small dam to add depth to a section in order to create a pond with circulating water (no need filtration system)...

I have to mention we had the ditch cleaned out by a contractor a couple years ago and they had put a liner and rocks at the bottom ... We are so glad to have done that, now, it's like it was meant to be, haha!

So now we are really hoping the City doesn't fix too soon the issue that caused the water to deviate, because we anticipate we won't get any water anymore once fixed.

In the meantime, we enjoy the pool cleaning break 😅😅 And ducks are really happy!

Picture of water flowing before we created the dam, the actual dam we created and an after picture. I have a video of my happy ducks on their pond, there: Video of my ''pond'' once we created the dam

Attachments

• Before DAM.PNG
    Before DAM.PNG
    5 MB · Views: 26
  • Dam.PNG
    Dam.PNG
    5.4 MB · Views: 15
  • POND.PNG
    POND.PNG
    5.3 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Lovely. It's small enough to manage. If your liner is so that water doesn't leak, seems small enough to keep topped off with water hose? Warning; ponds maybe addicting to ducks :p

We had heavy rain couple weeks ago and a beaver dam busted up the mountain in front of my house, causing water deviation and so water to flow in our backyard ditch. We decided to leverage it and create a small dam to add depth to a section in order to create a pond with circulating water (no need filtration system)...

I have to mention we had the ditch cleaned out by a contractor a couple years ago and they had put a liner and rocks at the bottom ... We are so glad to have done that, now, it's like it was meant to be, haha!

So now we are really hoping the City doesn't fix too soon the issue that caused the water to deviate, because we anticipate we won't get any water anymore once fixed.

In the meantime, we enjoy the pool cleaning break 😅😅 And ducks are really happy!

Picture of water flowing before we created the dam, the actual dam we created and an after picture. I have a video of my happy ducks on their pond, there: Video of my ''pond'' once we created the dam
That’s so cool! Looks nice and clean too 😊

We have 25 feet of ditch in your duck pen. Even when it's not overflown like this, and they absolutely love it and spend most of the day in it. Attached is a picture of some of our ducks in part of the ditch. No pools for us for 6 months out of the year because we have the irrigation running. I would definitely recommend having them in your ditch even at lower levels.

Attachments

• IMG_6930.JPG
    IMG_6930.JPG
    546.8 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom