My Peacock flew the Coop!!!HELP

Run-A-Muck Ranch

Songster
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
In the middle of nowhere!!!
I dont' know if anyone can help me on this one or not.
(Specially after watching the little video of peacocks taking over in FL...~~I am sure that won't happen there though!!)

Well today I decided to let our peacocks out for the first time. We have had them about 2-3 months and over the blistery cold weather they were locked inside the barn. Today being it was pretty nice out I decided to open there barn door and let them wander out in the yard.
Well my bigger (2year old) male desided to FLY OFF...
barnie.gif
hit.gif
barnie.gif
hit.gif

I don't know where he went...somewhere out into the pasture and maybe beyond. He was in full color and tail feathers. Beautiful bird...(oldest daughter named him Bam-Bam). The other 2 birds are sticking close to the barn. Actually haven't gone out the door yet.
I tried calling to him, but no luck. I haven't even seen him sense he took flight.
Does anyone know if they are likely to come back home??
I didn't clip there wings (took for granted they would stick around like the chickens, ducks, guinneas, geese). I am going to try and clip the others wings just in case (unless it's a bad idea).

I have set out food in different places for him, called him, walked and walked looking for him...Even have my brother-in-law on the look out while he's up on my roof..He's putting up new shingles. He can see pretty good up there, and hasn't spotted anything yet....

Any ideas or suggestions on how to get him back home...

Thanks everyone...
Shawna

Quote:
That's what I was hoping...BUT they are soooo quiet. They barely make any noise at all.
I know there are no other peacocks around the area so I guess if someone finds a peacock in there yard it has to be mine...

I don't want to count my peacocks before he completely comes home but I found him....
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif

It started to rain here and my brother-in-law had to stop the roofing/shingle job. As he was coming off the roof he looked into one of the trees in the front yard and there is Bam-Bam roosting in the tree top. He must of flown home when the rain started.
He hasn't made it back to the barn yet, but at least he is in the yard...I am happy to at least see him.
It's been a long day of looking and calling him.

Just hope he goes back to his girls in the barn now..

Thanks..
Shawna

My neighbor two properties down has free ranging peacocks. (In Florida too
ep.gif
) He has one that comes over to visit quite a bit in the last few months. I am not sure why as I do not have any Peacocks. I only have two bantam chickens and if he gets too close they chase him off.
roll.png
He always goes back home, maybe he is looking for more females?
idunno.gif

Well it's almost 10:30 p.m. And Bam-Bam is still up in the tree. He hasn't come down and now I actually hope he stays up there until morning. Would hate to see something happen to him tonight after all he went through today.
I call him and he just cocks his head like he knows I am down there, but wants to stay in the tree. He hasn't eatten any of the food I left at the base of the tree so I removed it for the night to keep other critters away.
Will have to wait til morning to see how he is..
His girls are still in the barn, haven't left all day..
Thanks everyone for replying or even just reading the post...
Shawna

They like to sleep in the trees, so most likely he will stay up there until morning. If you catch him, make sure you keep him penned up for a while longer. It takes peas a long time to consider a place home. They are not easy to catch, either. Sometimes you can coax them in with scratch. Once I caught my male when he was displaying. He couldn't see around his tail, so I snuck up on him and grabbed him by the ankles. That was a sight to see, I am sure! LOL

DeAnna

Quote:
How long should I keep them locked up??
I was told about 6 weeks for an adult.
We have had them almost 3 months now. this was there first time outside, maybe it was something new, maybe just there nature.
Would you suggest clipping a wing or even both??
I did consider doing it...BUT OF COURSE THAT WAS AFTER HE FLEW OUT...
ep.gif
idunno.gif
ep.gif
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom